Home

TF: Armada

I knew I was forgetting to post something.

Before I left, we (i.e., Nute, Niner and a few others) were talking about the upcoming new Transformers series, Armada. Well, during my hiatus (and even recently), I've dug up some more concrete info, some of which you may already know, but bear with me.

Firstly, it's coming out soon, as in this August. That's when the toys and the comics come out, so the series will probably be starting sometime in September (or November, knowing how prompt TV networks are :rolleyess ).

The series is cell-animated, but in the G1 style (apparently this means it's not animé), but it will have CGI effects. Whether this means the Return of the Cybernet SpaceCube or actual inserted CGI shots is unknown to me.

I'm still a little confused as to the timeframe/continuity. Some reports say that it's set after the end of G1 (about 2010), but some of the G1 names are being reused in wierd ways (Laserbeak is now an Autobot, Red Alert is now a medic, Perceptor will be making his "first" appearance, and Starscream is very much alive and looking to stay that way), making me think that this is going to be another alternate-universe.

Plot-wise, it sounds . . . interesting.

The premise is that there is actually a third faction of Cybertronians in addition to the Autobots and Decepticons. These new TFs, called Minicons, have apparently vanished, and are rediscovered in the first few eps.

Thing is, the Minicons have the ability to "merge" with other Transformers (and sometimes each other) and unlock special powers (gimicks on the toys include missile-launchers, secret compartments, and fold-out enhancements like claws or searchlights). Remember the old PowerMaster line?

Anyway, the 'bots and 'cons immediately start fighting over "custody," with whoever has the most Minicons becoming the most powerful.

As for the toys, they look mediocre (IMHO, of course). Each "big" toy comes with a Minicon partner (for Autobots) or slave (for Decepticons), and more Minicons available in 3-packs.

For more data, look here or here.

I found all this on the Transformers Usenet group, BTW.

Originally posted by Flying Beastie

some of the G1 names are being reused in wierd ways

It's spelled wEIrd ! This is the second time I correct you on the same mistake.

And you call yourself a writter :eek:, oh the humanity of it all! ;)

Next time this happens I'm making sure you won't be able to see the new Transformers series. No smiley here, I mean it.

Originally posted by Jem

And you call yourself a writter

I am a writter, but since this is a forum I don't bother trying to spell-check my posts beyond people's names and proper capitalization.

Besides, actual spell-check would involve cut'n'pasting my posts into WordPerfect before I post them, and that's just a waste of effort.

Archived