Home

Real Star Wars

Guest crazy_dog

I hope that I have established some creedance with you my fellow science posters,as to the knowledge I have in my previous post.

I admit that Cold Fusion is not my expertise, but I was under the impression that the reason Cold fusion is so coveted is because it would automatically decrease the size of the reactor. Let me explain. The problem with Fusion is also it's greatest asset: ENERGY. In the case of the problem with Fusion is IMMENSE amount of energy in the form of HEAT. Hence the very large cooling towers you see at Nuclear Power plants. These towers use circulating water to absorb the heat from the reasction then the towers let the heat energy escape from the water as steam.

Cold Fusion allows for the fusion reaction to take place with better efficeincy, therefor there would be less energy lost in the form of heat and therefor eliminating the need for large cooling towers.

So Cold Fusion, due to better efficeincy, would produce more USABLE energy in a MUCH smaller reactor space due to the lack of neccessity of cooling apparatti.

For an IDEA not FACTUAL REPRESENTATION of the rough size acheivable for a Cold Fusion reactor wath the Movie THE SAINT with Val Kilmer. Again, that is just a possible portrayl.

Again...thank you for your time.

Guest Tie Guy
Originally posted by Lord JayVizIon

Helium has a mass number of 4 (number of protons + neutrons) and an atomic number of 2 (no. of protons). a stable hydrogen atom has mass no. of 1 and atomic no. of 1 (meaning that hydrogen has no neutrons). however, deuterium (where hydrogen has 1 proton and 1 neutron) has an atomic no. of 1 and mass no. of 2. if you add two deuteriums (which are unstable forms of hydrogen ---> unstable molecules are very reactive) you will get helium.

Well, you stumped me there. I didn't know that Hydrogen had an isootpe. I guess you learn something new everyday. Anyways, if you were writing that out though, H wouldn't be the correct symbol, as that doesn't imply the isotope, but the "normal" hydrogen. Anyways, writing H-1 or something would cause less confusion, as if fusion wasn't confusing enough already. :D

Anyways, about the saber, i get what you mean about the "force," and that would most likely make the saber almost impossible to control. That, and that the beam would weigh litterally nothing, and cause you not to have a "feel" for the blade. However, i was talking about the SW "Force." What good would a saber be if you couldn't use the force to black bullets and blasters? Its only use would be to cut stuff, and that would be a very expensive power-tool. :D

Guest Admiral Odin
Originally posted by Tie Guy

Well, you stumped me there. I didn't know that Hydrogen had an isootpe. I guess you learn something new everyday. Anyways, if you were writing that out though, H wouldn't be the correct symbol, as that doesn't imply the isotope, but the "normal" hydrogen. Anyways, writing H-1 or something would cause less confusion, as if fusion wasn't confusing enough already. :D

I would have used H-1, but I was taught that equation placing the mass number above the atomic number. You should learn that and other equations in physics (my favorite science)

Originally posted by observer_20000

How big of a generator would Cold fusion need to be as powerful as a small star?

I don't know, to this date Cold Fusion has yet to work. However Fusion is what is done within a star so it produces a great amount of power (which has been said already). The size that would be needed to produce enough energy like a small star is unknown. All I can tell you it has the potential to be small, and have that kind fo power.

The other thing is SW is fictional, Cold fusion isn't so you must weigh them accordingly. with SW they can invent technologies that might never happen. So taking that into account the power source of a SD would most likely be similar to Fusion, or Cold Fusion.

Is it just me, or are my posts invisible, or are they just being ignored!? :(

;)

In my previous post, I stated they would be much smaller, due to the lack of necessity for cooling apparatti (ie cooling towers, and thermo regulators equipment) And then pointed to the movie THE SAINT starring Val Kilmer. In the Movie they give an example of what a cold fusion reactor's size could be. (This is just a thereotical example since cold fusion has not been achieved yet!)

Just an example based on theoretical physics, that might help give an idea (I don't know what kind of "theoretical" power output the reactor in the movie had though!)

Archived