Home

Bounding box for MP

MUHAHAHAHAHA

This might be a shot in the dark, but recently in the Yoda model thread, someone posted an email from Raven saying that small character models in an MP mod would be possible if the bounding box was changed.

Does anyone know where the MP character bounding box settings are in the source? I looked for a while and gave up. I'm not familiar w/ the code enough to step through it....

This would definitely help the crew making a Yoda mod, and open up doors for models like Jawas, Ewoks, R-units, and other small (or large) models. Think of playing MP as the Rancor monster, or as something small like Nien Numb or Yoda :-).

In G_public.h there are a few vects u might wanna look at, vec3_t mins and maxs, vec3_t absmin and absmax and the bool bmodel.

Those are the ones you need to work the bbox, then you allso have the playerMins and playerMaxs and in Q3 is was so that on every trap_linkEntity, the game engine recalculates absmin and absmax based on mins, maxs, currentOrigin, and currentAngles, don't know if that is the same for jk2.

I don't know how this all interacts with the ghoul2 system since that is poly based.

Then you have the problem of pay a few thousand dollars for Softimage, getting through it's extremely long learning curve, then you have to remake thousands of new animations... sorry, but I don't think that'll happen.

Perhaps..... but aren't the animations based off the bone names? If so, just because a bone is smaller, does not mean it doesn't move in the same way. I'm sure Raven figured it out.... Look at the single player game... Kyle is MUCH smaller than Desaan, and neither have problems w/ the animations, and in MP, Desaan is the same size as Kyle, w/out using a new model with new animations.

It's ok to be pessimistic, but considering Raven said that we should be able to get the Yoda model in game, I think they believe it's really something trivial, and not a huge amount of work in softimage.

If anyone would like to help out w/ this, i know the entire modeling community would be forever thankful. Getting Yoda in the game would be really awesome, and being able to make characters their correct height (ala Chewie being taller than Kyle, Leia and Padme being shorter than Luke and Anakin, etc) could make for a realistic MP mod where characters must role play correctly to their character(ala Galaxies).

MTFBWY

Archived