Home

Can 2 PCs play on internet from a single IP address?

Zigguratbuilder

Hey all- I had a quick general question.

My roommate and I are connected over cable and we use a router to split the IP. We love Multiplayer FPS games. We often join a server as friends or enemies, playing UT or CS.

We don't cheat, we don't ghost, we don't share info, etc etc etc.

However, we've noticed a trend lately with games built on the Q3 engine (like Castle Wolfenstein and Soldier of Fortune 2) to not allow people sharing the same IP on the same server. I don't know why they go out of their way to do this, when lower-end games have no problem with it. Dunno if it's a fear of cheating or what.

Anyway, I was wondering if it was, in fact, possible for me and my roommate, in our current configuration, to play the game in Multiplayer.

If not, we can always plunk down the money for a second IP address... not an ideal choice, but it'd be worth it for that Wuxia lightsaber action.

Please tell me if you know the answer. Also, if you know any workarounds. Thanks!

-Andy

>>

but you can't split the IP with 1 cable modem I don't think.

>>

For this game, you mean?

I wonder why they do that... is it a security or anti-cheat feature, I wonder... I mean, splitting the IP to get two or more folks on the same CounterStrike server or UT server works fine... It seems to me that somehow, at some point, someone thought this was better off disabled.

I guess my other question still stands... anyone know any workarounds?

-Andy

I think you need to change net_port to be different for both computers...

I'm not sure that you can do it on all servers...I tried, and the server said something like

"Unauthorized ... packet recieved" or something on the screen of the computer that was already connected.

Originally posted by GA-Acer

I just got my new computer so I got a router and networked my 2 computers to it, and it works fine, and we both use the same IP. Just setting up for the network is tricky.

Technically your 2 computers don't have the same IP addres. Your router is the one with the public IP. Your workstations will most likely have separate addresses under a private addressing scheme.

Archived