Home

MilkShape 3D: Some help please

DividedByZero

I'm actually a mapper, but it turns out I need some modelling help for my map duel_frogger (http://64.246.44.70/~lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63511)

The problem is that I need to take some of the ship models (like the bespin cloud car) and rotate them in MilkShape, then save them as a new file (.md3 so I can use it in my map).

Before you tell me I'm a freaking moron, let me explain why I need to do this. If I was making a single player map, I could attach the model of my choice to a func_train at any angle I wanted to, or I could have it turn at a path_corner, but for some retarted reason you can't do this in mp. My ships are flying sideways, and the only way to get them faceing the direction I want them to is to make new models at those angles.

I was able to import an .md3, and rotate it to my satisfaction, but then I could only save it as some other file type that I don't want to save it as, how do I save it as an .md3.

Thanks for your time guys! Keep up the great work!

PS: If you end up helping me w/ this you'll get a credit in my map readme! And why you're at it, stop by my site and take a look at my up coming map! http://home.attbi.com/~chester394/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

I hope I understood you correctly. On the first tab on the toolbar on the right is a "Rotate" button. Select the whole model using the "Select" button feature, then click on rotate and rotate away.

To export .md3s you need to generate a control file. Go to Tools-> Quake 3 arena > Generate Control File. Name it the same as the model's name.

Now go to Tools> Half-Life > Edit CF and select the file you just created. Make sure frames say 1 1 instead of 1 30 (unless you have animations). Also, change the location of the skin files to the correct location.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Hope that helps.

Milkshape rocks!!

I worked out how to make my Desann-icle from this tutorial on the MilkShape site.

Basically you create the control file as it (and Alaris) have said, and then edit it. You'll need the change the paths in the $skin "models/players/model/skin.tga" lines to the path for the model you are making and only have lines for the skin textures you use.

For example: the control file for my Desann-icle:

$model "models/map_objects/relfexive/desann-icle.md3"

and

$mesh "hips"

$skin "models/map_objects/relfexive/legs.tga"

$flags 0

Then, once the control file is sorted, choose 'export' from the file menu and select Q3 md3 to actually export the model.

Check it in MD3View to see if it's worked!

Sorry---you're right. It's Edit QC.... in the Half-Life menu. You do need to know where the skin files are located.

You'll need the change the paths in the $skin "models/players/model/skin.tga" lines to the path for the model you are making and only have lines for the skin textures you use.

the folder naming is important because that is the folder structure in Jedi Outcast.

models/players/yourmodel/yourskin1.tga

models/players/yourmodel/yourskin2.tga

make sure you list each skin. replace "yourmodel" with whatever you want and "yourskin" with the filenames. also, a good tip is to make these subfolders (models/players/yourmodel/) in the directory that has the control file---so when you export the model, it will find those skin files. Then, you can load up your md3 in the Md3viewer supplied by Raven with it's skins attached.

Then you can export as glm---I recommend going to General Editing and reading the sticky threads for more information on making pk3s.

Archived