Home

LAN Connection

teutonicknight

Ok, if anybody knows: will you answer these questions for me:

1. What is a LAN connection (and don't tell me it's a Local Area Network or something)

2. Can I; How do I set one up?

3. What are the benfits of using one compared to reg connection?

Thanks

-teutonicknight :saberb:

:deathstar: :x-wing:

LAN stands for Local Area Network. A LAN connection is the connection between your computer and your local network (like if you have multiple computers in your house or office or whatever, all hooked up).

To set one up, you need a hub or router, and multiple computers with network cards (ethernet cards).

If you are referring to broadband connection, there are a few types, cable modem, DSL, satellite, and ethernet, to name a few. Those are fast connections to the internet, which is what will speed up your gaming if that is what you desire.

Hope this helps.

edit:

Local area network just means the network is local, and not outbound... WAN refers to wide area network, which is basically your connection to the outside world. There are good sites out there w/ tutorials. Search yahoo for networking for dummies.

ok these are my answers from my understanding of these subjects please correct me if im wrong.

1 what is a lan?

well a lan is a group of computers networked in a small area i.e. an office, your back room, etc. the oppisite of lan would be a wan-wide area network. its computers networked together in far distances. i.e computers networked from an office in san diego networked with an office in new york.

2 can you set up a lan?

sure, you just need all the tools and wiring correct. after all a network is basically a group of computers that are wired together.

3 what benifits of using one compared to reg connection?

not too sure what you mean here. what do you mean regular connection?

well i hope this help a little and remember this is to some of my knowledge of networks and its just a briefing, to go into detalies it would take me months :)

Archived