Home

How do I get my editting npcs.cfg to work in-game?

MustangMatt302

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well no...not actualy and i didnt say that.

Your mod should have it's own pk3 for various reasons.

It doesnt realy matter as far as i know if its set up to be loaded manualy

or automaticaly at every startup.

hey,

i have my npcs.cfg in the ext_data dir in my pk3 and its set to read only (im sure i read that it had to be done ages ago) and the game just doesnt seem to acknowledge my cfg file.

i remember having a custom npc entered in there and being able to spawn it in the game. now i just wanna mess around with existing npc settings (changing teams and dismemberments etc) but it wont recognise my file.

short of putting my file in the assets0.pk3, im not sure what to do.

ive seen these sorts of posts a few times in different forums but no one has come up with an answer from what i can see

~* beau *~

Hmm clarification attempt 2 :D

To both ihavedirt and dontlikegeorge,

you can sort out the stuff that aplys to each of you :cool:

Editing the 'assets' files technicaly violates the liscence agreement.

("(3) MODs may not modify any .PK3 or other resource files in the Software." )

perhaps more importantly to you at least editing the basic parts of the game

is riskyer, if you mess something up its much harder to repair.

In its own pk3 your changes can be removed as easyily as draging their file.

So your modifications should have their own pk3. It realy doesnt matter if

said pk3 is in the base dir or in a mod folder in gamedata.

(exept of course with the latter option you will have to load it from the setup screen)

Custom *new* npcs are a very sticky issue, i dont think ANYONE has managed it yet. I personaly think its imposible without editing the singleplayer .dll and LEC wont like that anymore than the assets files.

((2) MODs may not modify any .COM, .EXE, .DLL or other executable files in the Software.")

As to the problem of your changes not apearing, i cant say for shure from here.

Until your shure you have it figured out dont try anything complicated,

you can try mayjor gameplay tweaks once you actualy get it working :D

So if your trying this with a copy of the cfg you have realy messed with get a fresh copy and start with something simple like changing someones saber color or something

thanks for trying the clarify things.

when i mentioned the assets file, im just trying to explain that the npcs.cfg file can be located in three places:

* assets0.pk3

* base\ext_data

* base\ext_data in my pk3 mod file or the mod dir i guess

a couple of months back, when say the very first maul MP bot came out, i remember people were trying to get him in SP and i managed to do it as a spawnable npc. i also then skinned my own kyle copy (really crappy new MP bot) but managed to get this to "npc spawn newbot" in SP. it had the typical saber between the legs sort of deal. unfortunately, i cant seem to get this working anymore?

with the npcs.cfg file that im using, even if i change a saber color or perhaps enemy/player teams, the game just doesnt seem to recognise my cfg file. i guess ill keep plugging away

~* beau *~

could 1.03 have done something to that?

i mean it sounds like you added an npc back in the day, maybe something in 1.03 makes it so the game is more picky about its files?

im just taking shots in the dark here, i dont need to seriously tackle these issues; im still tackling radiant (imo the least user-friendly map editor ever)

yeah, it was a new npc but he had the saber in the bum and shooting an invisible lightsaber

perhaps 1.03 is the key but people are still doing this i think? i pm'd a guy and asked him to send me his custom spawnable npc but havent heard anything back yet

I have created multiple new npcs

To do so u have to create a yourmodel.npc file and set it up like the npcs.cfg.

2 problems I come across are changing the weapon...? It is always Stormtrooper Rifle

I contacted Raven but He couldn't remember the command to put in ur file. Does anyone know??

and.... The weapon being in the bum/crotch area.

Raven Told Me it has to do with the model itself. And the weapon not being tagged to the right bone. Which is a possibilty that someone should look into. If anyone can fix these problems I would apreciate it

Also.....I have gotten it to where the enemy has no weapon but when alone will fold his hands behind him and stand. When an enemy to him comes in he puts his hand up like he is under arrest. I think this could be used for a Singleplayer cop level....

I will play around some more.

I have discovered I think how to change the model of the weapon...... it is set_weapon weaponame

But it only changes the model. It still fires the red bolts.

I also would like to know how to make the people you make more responsive. They just stand and shoot at you. I would like it to be like the dark jedi, but with guns ala Jango Fett, Boba Fett, Chewie. They dont stand there and shoot normally. I think it is something to do with ICARUS scripting but unsure. I think there should be a command to add that would make them like reborns, and other enemies. I'll contact Raven on this.

Originally posted by studman0201

I also would like to know how to make the people you make more responsive. They just stand and shoot at you. I would like it to be like the dark jedi, but with guns ala Jango Fett, Boba Fett, Chewie. They dont stand there and shoot normally. I think it is something to do with ICARUS scripting but unsure. I think there should be a command to add that would make them like reborns, and other enemies. I'll contact Raven on this.

Im working on that but havent gotten very far yet, mostly since

I am having trouble with the Icarus compiler :(

However I think increasing their 'evasion' in npcs.cfg helps a little.

thanks to studman, i can npc spawn a custom character :D

ive messed around with my limited knowledge but havent had much luck with anything. this is some stuff i have found that might be useful if someone can help with it

when making a map, i added an npc reborn or whatever and then replaced the reborn with my character name "beau". in the console, once the map is loaded, i get an error like:

"No command for npc_beau"

when reading the icarus manual, i found this:

The name ("Fred") that you specify must be the script_targetname of the entity you wish to affect. For NPCs, their script_targetname will be the same as the NPC_targetname you specify for them in the map editor. For all other entities, you must specify a script_targetname if you intend to affect them at some point.

so what im thinking, is this stuff must be set and named within the entities in jkradiant??

in jkradiant, i have a trigger_once which targets spawn_beau which is the npc_beau entity. this npc_beau entity has a spawnscript of test/spawn_beau.

my spawn_beau ibi file is below. maybe copy and paste to notepad to read it properly. i think im on the right track with the setting weapon, making saber active and locking the weapon. but none of this helps if i cant spawn my character using the icarus script (within radiant). i was hoping that perhaps the character would use the jkb and bot files i included in just the standard npc spawn beau command but that didnt work. so im thinking it goes back to the npc_targetname and script_targetname but im not sure where that has to be written, in radiant or in the ibi or what. any ideas?

spawn_beau ibi file:

//Generated by BehavEd

rem ( "comment" );

set ( /*!*/ "SET_BEHAVIOR_STATE", /*!*/ "BS_DEFAULT" );

set ( /*!*/ "SET_IGNOREALERTS", /*!*/ "false" );

set ( /*!*/ "SET_LOOK_FOR_ENEMIES", /*!*/ "true" );

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_INVINCIBLE", /*@BOOL_TYPES*/ "false" );

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_IGNOREPAIN", /*@BOOL_TYPES*/ "false" );

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_SABERACTIVE", /*@BOOL_TYPES*/ "true" );

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_FORCE_GRIP_LEVEL", /*@FORCE_LEVELS*/ "0" );

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_FORCE_HEAL_LEVEL", /*@FORCE_LEVELS*/ "0" );

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_FORCE_JUMP_LEVEL", /*@FORCE_LEVELS*/ "3" );

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_FORCE_LIGHTNING_LEVEL", /*@FORCE_LEVELS*/ "0" );

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_FORCE_MINDTRICK_LEVEL", /*@FORCE_LEVELS*/ "0" );

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_FORCE_PULL_LEVEL", /*@FORCE_LEVELS*/ "0" );

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_FORCE_PUSH_LEVEL", /*@FORCE_LEVELS*/ "0" );

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_FORCE_SPEED_LEVEL", /*@FORCE_LEVELS*/ "3" );

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_SABER_DEFENSE", /*@FORCE_LEVELS*/ "3" );

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_SABER_OFFENSE", /*@FORCE_LEVELS*/ "3" );

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_SABER_THROW", /*@FORCE_LEVELS*/ "1" );

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_FORCE_ABSORB", /*@FORCE_LEVELS*/ "0" );

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_WEAPON", /*@WEAPON_NAMES*/ "WP_SABER" );

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_SABERACTIVE", /*@BOOL_TYPES*/ "true" );

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_LOCK_PLAYER_WEAPONS", /*@BOOL_TYPES*/ "true" );

one thing i just remembered. i did a search for anything containing the text npc_shadow (in the hope id find a cfg file or something that had the code so i could add npc_beau.

i did a quick search and i found it in "jk2gamex86.dll" so the ability to spawn custom npcs is hard coded like the double bladed saber :(

Chang just informed me to fix the weapon crotch problem all you have to do is start the name with st. ala styourmodel.npc. He said the engine looks for certain names when using humanoid skeletons to locate the gun placement. If it doesn't have the name then it spawns the gun at the orgin, or crotch. He said you can make a npc be created in a map also. I am going to try now

studman,

did you manage to get the stcustom.npc working to hold the weapon?

i put it in front of my .npc file and it didnt change anything.

if you got it working, where did you place the .npc file and did you have to change anything else?

thanks

~* beau *~

Holy crap, this actually works!! :D

I successfully inserted two different npcs, one with a blaster and one as a jedi (behavior is largely determined by weapon held).

For me, it didn't matter whether the new npc entry had "st" in front of the player name (the topmost part or title of the entry), what affects whether the weapon was in the crotch or not was adding the st prefix to the "playermodel" field. So if you're making a mod using this be sure to include a pk3 with the new textures or model and the appropriate folder renamed with the st, and don't forget to edit the .skin file accordingly (or I suppose you could just edit the .skin file to link to the original skin folder, to save space).

For spawning a new lightsaber-user, rename the playermodel with st as usual, but put the prefix "jedi" in front of the topmost part or title, otherwise they'll just hold a saber but act like it's a blaster.

Hmmm... I wonder if there's a limit on custom npcs... I'll probably find out soon enough :)

Thanks to whoever figured this out!!!

so if you want a blaster custom npc use:

models\players\stcustom ?

and if you want a saber custom npc use:

models\players\stjedicustom ?

or did i misunderstand?

[edit]

could someone please post their configs for getting the jedi to work with saber ignited?

is this what i should have?

ext_data\jedibeau.npc contains:

jedibeau

{

playerModel stbeau

saberColor green

etc

}

models\players\stbeau

[/edit]

Archived