Home

56k work ok with jk2?

Ruanek

Not everyone has Mommy and Daddy to pay for their hobby.

Obviously I was refering to people who don't pay for it.

Good point from all here.

So what have we learned.

1. There are countrys outside the USA and they can at times be a bit different. Sorry if that comes as a shock.

2. Cable Modems are cool so longs as your cable firm is not sh*t and can't be bothered to roll it out to their entire network.

3. I have a bit of an attitude problem and really should learn to kirb my temper every now and again.

4. Sunny D does not contain Fruit!!!!!!

5. 56k will allow you to play FPS quake based games online with few problems as long as you don't expect to be able to get into every server on earth!

6. AOL is sh*t for gaming and so is Freeserve, So is InfoSpace and any of the other bloated corporate ISP's out there. My advice is to find a small ISP that usually offers business services but does offer a free dial up service to home users. Their servers are about the besy you can connect too. Trust me.

Oh and

7. I need to earn more money in order to service my Gaming Habit that my GF hates!

I don't think she'll go for it though................

I had AOL dialup, then switched to AOL DSL. My lowest PINGs to all JK2 dedicated servers were no less than 300ms. I switched to cable and now get anywhere from 10-50 on my favorites. I do think that low ping time players have an advantage. When Im dueling, it makes it MUCH easier to see your being setup for something. If your bouncing around, youll probably just end up swinging wildly or just trying to get lucky with 1 good strong stance hit.

56k should be fine. Especailly since I play the game with a 28.8 (was supposed to be a 56k but I got screwed, winmodem with 28.8 data and 28.8 voice). Regardless it actually does play well at that speed. Try changing your data rate, by using the "\rate <number>" command in the console. I set mine at 3000 and depending on the server speed can play games with up to 16 people with a ping range anywhere from 280- 430. Though if you are consistently above 430 you should reconnect as you will begine to warp slightly.

As for the comment above made by quietsith, saying that having a high ping gives one the advnatage, thats not true. I can't count the nubmer of times I've been killed when on my end I've cleanly dodge a shot, only to warp back to where I was and die from getting hit. Btw, the warping wasnt awhile after, its like split second, ie i dodged the second before getting hit, but due to lag server read me as not dodging.

well my dad just cares about himself with computers but hey its an advantage he gets all these flashy upgrades when we get stuck with 500mhz but when hes away i use his p.c 1.4 ghz amd! and we are in a network so we get the advantage of that little thing called broadband i dont pay! remember this though i am only 12 so well... well... sunny d sucks!:cool: haha to sunny d and well.. mc donalds burgers!

IronJedi, a slower modem quite often performs better for online gaming, with 56k modems, connecting at the higher speeds, ie 46,667 and above can cause data loss to become very noticable, phonelines aren't particularly high quality, and faster modems often sacrifice quality for speed. For surfing the internet this isn't usually a problem since the odd lost string of data doesn't really have that much impact. But in an online game, for every piece of data that is lost or corrupted the server has to resend it, resulting in higher pings or even being temporarily suspended from the game.

I play with 56k on UK servers, connected at 48,000. Someone I know from somewhere in the USA or Canada has a 28k modem and gets equal pings to me on UK servers.

Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ

IronJedi, a slower modem quite often performs better for online gaming, with 56k modems, connecting at the higher speeds, ie 46,667 and above can cause data loss to become very noticable, phonelines aren't particularly high quality, and faster modems often sacrifice quality for speed. For surfing the internet this isn't usually a problem since the odd lost string of data doesn't really have that much impact. But in an online game, for every piece of data that is lost or corrupted the server has to resend it, resulting in higher pings or even being temporarily suspended from the game.

I play with 56k on UK servers, connected at 48,000. Someone I know from somewhere in the USA or Canada has a 28k modem and gets equal pings to me on UK servers.

In your case it sounds like you just have a bad modem. My friend who used to have 56k consistently has better pings than I do.

No, I have a good modem, but I live in an area with old phonelines, higher speed connections burn out the phonelines causing data loss, slowing down my connection would fix the data loss while sacrificing speed. The trick is in getting the balance right.

Archived