Home

About the blocking system

Orangina_Rouge

Well since i m not really happy about what JK 2 is turning into with 1.03/1.04 guard ( that is a random slashing contest ) i decided to get my hands dirty ( and they will since i never modded any quake game ...well i m a C++ coder, should handle it )

So my question is if someone know where exactly the part of the code used for Saber blocking is ......i figure also there is two parts since Saber block ranged attacks ( bolts and saber throw ) differently than Saber slashes

What i would like to do is replace the saber slashes blockin part with the ranged blocking one, so that it takes actually skill to block ( must be facing attack and not attacking )

Thanks

the exact code?

loooooooool

I think for blocking bolts there is an exact code

but the saber blocking code...

I think it is handled in the sabe damage funktion ( Saber Check Dmg )

And I think you are doing way to easy. You can block bolts while you are attacking. You just need to get the saber hit the bolt :D

And I think with other sabers it is the same. If one saber hits another it gets blocked. Because a saber is biger than a bolt and the way it goes is not lineat it will be blocked more likely than a bolt if you are in a saber attack...

Well i don t think so since the countless times i played i never seen someone block a bolt ( or saber throw .....wich u can agree is bigger than a bolt :D ) from rear

So saber colliding with bolts or another saber don t seem to be what is used to see if dmg is dealt ( and it would be way too complicated imo )

So there s surely a difference between the way ranged and slashes attacks are blocked .........rest to figure what it is :rolleyes:

Shurly there is a difference.

But bolts do only check if they hit the saber. At the moment, not, if the eventually hit the saber 1/1000 before. Thats what the Saber to Saber code try's to. And I think it is more likly that the saber does, than that a bolt does.

And why are you takling about blocking bolts from rear? There is novere a pice of code threre wich should alow that...

well let s sum up what s the gameplay is for blocking actually :

-Ranged attacks ( saber throw included ) are blocked only when u face them and u don t attack ( not by hitting saber like u say....else saber throw would be blocked even while u swing ) .....easily verified if u try to swing or turn your back to a gunner ;)

-Saber slashes are blocked from all angles .....front, flanks, rear, everywhere....even if u swing ( talk about skill to block :rolleyes: )

So with the insane bloking rate it s why such attacks like Backstab ( now useless ) kick or DFA are not risky enough to prevent their spamming .....simply cause from all directions u attack someone they will mostly block so u cannot punish someone executing such maneuvers ( that was imo the REAL problem of backstab )

Now i never said that bolts were blocked from rear neither that i want that

What i strive for is to make saber slashes blocked only when u face the blow and don t swing your saber ......much like the way ranged attacks are blocked

Now if u don t get the idea well nm .......just wanted to know where the code for the two parts of blocking system were, if u don t i ll manage to find them myself ( ouch ...lot of code lines :D )

I think ranged attacks are blocked both by the normal super saber blocking and by if they actualy hit the saber.

Search for this string for saber blocking:

if (attackStr)
{ //blocking a saber, not a projectile.
	blockFactor -= 0.25f;
}

I just added something after it like blockFactor*=mod_blockScale;

Archived