Home

Favorite map type

Beefotron X

What makes a map, SP or MP, most fun to fight in?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What makes a map, SP or MP, most fun to fight in?

• Tight corridors
    • Wide, open areas
    • Many places to hide
    • Pits
    • Death traps
    • Lots of medium-sized rooms
    • Well-concealed sniping places

All of the above, but if I were looking for my choice map, I would say a well-concealed sniping point. Of course, people tend to hate me for it in general, but in CTF a good sniper on D can mean the difference between complete victory or total defeat. :D

And for my least favorite, I must say the combo long corridors and big guns. Maps like that (especially Bespin Air Shafts) make JK2 feel too much like a cooridor shooter (reminds me of Half Life Deathmatch) than a jedi action game. :eek:

I too like these areas, but they tend (with the exception of the NS Garbage Facility Crusher) to draw campers to them like a magnet. Sure, a crush kill or a Death Star laser is usually quite funny, but any time I play FFA Death Star there's always one guy sitting down there just WAITING to rack up kills using said events - and I'm usually the one that goes down there to teach him who's boss. :D

However, if you implement such devices properly, they can be quite funny without hampering gameplay. Just as I said, NS Garbage Facility is a great example, as would be the Death Star crusher if it didn't serve as a connection to the upper levels - folks usually take it upon themselves to go after the big items, and just as mappers did it with Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament, occasionally they can come at a price if you aren't quick. :) Seriously though, I think these additions should only serve as the "icing on the cake" that is the map, instead of drawing campers and/or destroying a small portion of gameplay.

Just my $.02. :cool:

Archived