Home

Of course you can restrict cl_yawspeed!

Wan

When suggestions of restricting yawspeed pops up, others

say that it cant be done or will be very complex.

Thats bull!

Of course you can restrict yawspeed!

Take this example:

I use a script including a backslash followed by a "yaw".

In 1.04 the script executes the backslash but of course not

the "spin". And that is because a programmer programmed

so that you cant execute a yawspin and a backslash at the same time. The computer knows when a backslash is being performed and as a result restricts your movement (made by a programmer)

The computer also have the power to restrict your "yaw" to

whatever the programmer in question sets it to.

To make it VERY simple. Its all about "IF"! Very powerfull statement.

Simple Very simple ex.

If bkslash() then

yawspeed.Max = 200

end if

I know that the code isnt even similar to this but the simple fact

remains......

REMEMBER that the programmer is in charge, NOT the computer.

(although it often seems like the opposite when i make progams)

Now..if your not a programmer yourself, you dont have to waste

my time by correcting me...ok!

do that and you break the ability for people to adjust their mouse sensitivity.

Plus, it's a client side setting. Backstabs are a server side event.. all that's going on is your game is playing the animations the server tells you to play.

And remember, the client is in the hands of the enemy. If you hardcode a setting, someone with sufficient skill and time will be able to change it.

So really all you'd be doing is making it a little bit harder.

Plus, it's a client side setting. Backstabs are a server side event.. all that's going on is your game is playing the animations the server tells you to play.

And remember, the client is in the hands of the enemy. If you hardcode a setting, someone with sufficient skill and time will be able to change it.

Originally posted by Xzzy

1.Thats not true. The compuer knows when

you use the mouse and when you use the keyboard.

2.Thats true. But the server can also be updated.

3. Thats sadly very true, but there must be a way to restrict

it on the server! The server doesnt allow yawspeed over 200 when a backstab is executed.

4. Its all about being smarter than the skilled hackers.

>> Plus, it's a client side setting. Backstabs are a

>> server side event.. all that's going on is your

>> game is playing the animations the server tells

>> you to play.

>

> 2.Thats true. But the server can also be updated.

The problem is you'd have to modify the q3 network protocol, which changes this from a quick fix to a full blown modification.

The server doesn't CARE how your client is configured. The server doesn't even know.

All it sees is someone sending an update that says "I am turning 90 degrees to the left". The server updates it's internal structures, then sends this info to the clients. If the client is sending 90 degree changes every update (which happens several times a second), you see the guy spinning around really damn fast.

The ONLY point that the server restricts what you can do is when trying to move.. it tells your client whether or not it's okay to continue moving in that direction. This is why, when your connection is lagging, you can experience the "rubber band" effect where you try to move, the client moves you a little, then you snap back to your last confirmed location. But you'll notice you can still spin around unrestricted.

Ergo, the server cannot be expected to control keypress or mouse sensitivity. It has to be completely client side.

I dont think that u guys knows what talking about..:o

But u set max seta cl_yawspeed "200" But i dont think that it can read in when u do a backslash that it can only be it then i have to be it forever.

I hate the damn yawspeeders too it no skill to use yawspeed to spin use the damn mouse.

And one thing more i have heard that it will come a hack for JK2 soon. :(

So it will only be trouble for about 2 weeks. :atat:

As you have stated the programmer is in charge. Yawspeed can be limited by whatever the progrmmer feels is the right turning speed. But to change it now would require a hack of the base code for the Jedi Knight 2 animations. Some one will do it in time and prob find a way to use it in a mod, but without the proper recoding of the game engine/animations itself I think we will all be ok for now.

Archived