Home

System Config

Territo

I am running Windows 2000 and there are always a lot of programs already up and running when I first switch on. I can close them with ctrl-alt-del but its very annoying to do everytime. I was wondering what file I could edit to make these programs not start up.

Sure. It is easy to do also. When you hit "Start" there is a "Run" option. Select that and type "msconfig" (without the quotations) it will open a window. In this window is a tab named "STARTUP" in this subwindow it will list the programs that are starting up with checkboxes. Just uncheck the programs you do not want to startup anymore.

Remember you need explorer, and systray at a minimum or you will crash.

Oh these programs are listed by there .exe names so it is not alwaysobvious at first what they are.

Windows 2000 doesn't come with msconfig built in...so you'll have to do it by hand...

goto start/Run/and type regedit.

From there, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run. Remove anything you don't need. But keep the syncrhonization Manager, you need that.

Make sure to backup your registry before you go deleting things...cause if you delete something that you need later, and don't know how to undo it, you're screwed.

Theres also a program called System Mechanic by iolo that basically does the same thing that msconfig does for win9x machines for win2k machines.

Archived