Home

Thinking about upgrading the soundcard, need opinions.

Bird Of Prey!

I was thinking about upgrading my SOUNDCARD and I'm researching options. I currently have a Creative Labs Soundblaster Live Value. This was a great card and I've had no problems or complaints. However, after 4 years my Soundworks 4:1, surround sound, speaker system gave up the ghost. :(

I upgraded to a Creative labs 5:1 surround speaker system. It works fine with my current soundcard but it lacks the center speaker jack. In addition, I recently upgraded my "Frankenstein, IBM, Clone" system and the Soundcard is now the oldest component.

I've read an article in PC Gamer which praises the Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy series. I've also noticed that JK2 recommends the Audigy Platinum card. However, I am never going to use my soundcard for anything but gaming, PC Audio, and Windows apps. I don't plan on plugging MIDI devices into the card, etc. I cannot see paying an additional 100 bucks for the additional features that the Platinum Audigy Card provides. In addition, the control panel, on this card, occupies a CD, Harddrive, Zip, or floppydisk bay.

I'm leaning towards the Creative Labs Audigy Gamer as a worthy replacement.

Any thoughts or personal experience??

I have the 5.1 surround speakers and the Sound Blaster Live 5.1. It is a really good set up. I enjoy cranking music on them as well as gaming. Go with the 5.1 unless money doesn't matter go ahead and try the platinum. The 5.1 gamer, 5.1, and 5.1 mp3 are all the same card I think (although not positive) I think the only difference is the software bundled with them.

Go with the SB Audigy Gamer. I have the platinum myself, but I also do audio/video procduction on my PC.

The gamer is worth every extra penny, and it'll be around for a long time to come. When it comes to audio and video paying the extra few dollars usually keeps you happier longer...........

Good luck!

Archived