Home

Hellish bug--with no changes to the source code!

ArtifeX

I have run across a reproducable bug that appears to be related to the qvm compiler.

I started with a pristine, fresh install of jk2, then upgraded to 1.04, then unzipped the toolset into the gamedata directory. After following the instructions in the readme file, I compiled the source (with no changes whatsoever) into a .qvm by running the game.bat in the code/game directory.

I started up a simple duel listen server with myself and a bot as the only clients, and turned off force powers. I was able to play a round (with the duel limit set to 1) just fine: no bugs. But after I killed the bot and the map tried to restart, I got a windows error saying that some instruction had tried to access some memory somewhere and it said it couldn't be "read", though I have gotten that it can't be "written" as well.

On a hunch, I compiled the .dll files with MSVC++, moved them into my mod directory, deleted the old vm file, and ran the game with the same setup. No bug. Map restarted just fine after the first kill.

I have repeated this many times with no changes. I simply cannot have the map changed by a qvm mod and not crash.

I've sent the apparently bad .qvm file to someone else to test, and he got a more verbose answer that said that the "worldspawn was not the first entity".

Does anybody have any clue as to what's going on here? Keep in mind, I changed not one single line of code before compiling the .qvm. The only explanation that appears to be left is that I have either improperly compiled the .qvm, or my settings for the compiling process are incorrect somehow.

Help's appreciated.

Originally posted by Tchouky

did you pack the vm in a pk3 ?

you should !

don't forget the path :

vm/game.qvm

vm/cgame.qvm

vm/ui.qvm

Strangely enough, that works! I have no idea why that would be any different from running a regular .qvm out of the vm directory. It says in the readme that i can run just the vm, but i guess not.

Today, Sesame Street is brought to you by the letters, "W", "T", and "F".

Archived