Home

JK2 skeleton for gmax

oreo

hi im a complete newbie and i just finihsed couple tuts, but now i have trouble getting a skeleton to work in gmax. i have the MILKSHAPE jk2 skeleton that someone made but somehow when i export and convert etc and finally get it to gmax the skeleton looks completely diff... it only has like a couple of white lines...

anyways in the Tim spacemonkey appleby tut he said he used a skeleton to fit the model to so im wondering how he did it! and where can i get a skeleton that would work for gmax? or is anyone able to convert a skeleton into gmax compatible and then host it pls????

...I'm working late and got your answer. Maybe I'll upload it to jk2.net files for everyone using gmax (only thing anyone needs to make jk2 models). I grabbed the root skele from the stormtrooper folder in the SDK so it should be ok for mp modelling. I'm converting it to native gmax right now. Want to leave me an email addy and I'll shoot it to you the second I finish? That way you get it because you seem to be in most need.

1. There is no GLM exporter for MilkShape, only an importer.

2. You need 3DSM to weight the verticies and all that crap, then export to XSI and use Carcass to make the GLM.

Oh, and exporting to an MD3 then using MD3View to make a GLM only works for static GLMs like saber hilts.

If you don't believe me, just try it.

Originally posted by oreo

or put it to max and save it as XSI ... (there is XSI import/exproter for max)

You could do that, but that defeats the purpose of using Gmax. If you've got 3DSM, just use that, it's nearly identicle to Gmax. The thing that would be good about using Gmax is that it's free.

And awaAaAaAy it goes! You should have that skeleton in your inbox oreo. Listen up though: There were triplets of EVERYTHING in the model I opened (because of the LODs) so I deleted all but the originals. There may be a few extra bones/tags if I made an error because I'm not really sure what they're all used for yet. But like I said, I only deleted duplicates of the same name.

One more note like I put in the email to you, and this goes for Emon as well: The skeleton will only do you good in Gmax to build a mesh around. You could also assign a skin modifier and weight all the vertexes, but it won't do you any good. Why? Answer - The only way to get anything out of gmax is to export it using the MD3 exporter which doesn't support skeletons. You would have to make your model, skin it, then export it as a static MD3 for someone else (if they felt like being nice) to import into 3D Studio Max and attach it to the skeleton to send out to a compilable format.

Emon: What exporter for 3dsmax is used for player models? The vmdexp.dle found in the SDK?

opk emon my bad ur right... i never knew u cant export bones in gmax! then umm wuts the point of having all those gmax tuts for jk models? if it wont make u the whole model...

btw can i still use milkshape to do the bones?

and i like gmax more than max for some reason i dunno y... but it looks nicer and easier to use hehe

dude. If you have max and you're going to weight the model in that, why do you need gmax. All I did to get the skeleton in gmax form was import the root.xsi from the SDK into 3dsmax. I then stripped away the unecessary geometry and exported it as a 3DS file because there is a 3DS import script for gmax. Then in gmax I just saved the file. But if you have max, there's no need for gmax. In fact max I should say is reccomended.

sorry to laugh, but max and gmax have the same interface exactly. Unless you're using say 3ds max 3.x. Then there are a few things in different places, but still almost exactly the same. You wouldn't really have to learn much at all. Plus most max tutorials for games are based on v 3.x of max.

Archived