Home

What is the relationship between Kyle and Jan?

jimsong

You can read the book series for more info, but their relationship has grown and changed over the years.

Initially, Jan was a Rebel mole who leaked info to an Imperial officer (? I forget his actual rank) named Kyle Katarn that the death of his parents was not due to a Rebel sneak attack, but was part of an Imperial cover-up. This was instrumental in getting Kyle to leave the Empire and find his own answers.

Initially he doesn't trust anyone but Jan, though he later becomes more and more loyal to the fledgling New Republic. Still, she's the one who helped him see past the propaganda and lies.

The story gets modified somewhat (the above is from Dark Forces) because in JK we learn that Kyle's mother died before his father Morgan. I'm not sure if she would have died a long time before or also as a result of the Empire. But in JK we learn that Jerec killed his father, and this opens an old wound and leads to the storyline there.

Throughout the series, Jan is Kyle's flight officer and gives him his mission briefings. In JK2, they have gone off together as mercenaries again, and they may have done this briefly as well. I figured that Jan was more loyal to the Rebel Alliance than Kyle was, as least at the start. He's more of a loner, but she softens him up a bit.. ; )

They never really get romantic (there are hints about it in the books) until JK2, so its possible that's the first time things have really gotten that close between them (for all we know).

Originally posted by Kurgan

They never really get romantic (there are hints about it in the books) until JK2, so its possible that's the first time things have really gotten that close between them (for all we know).

Does Jan ever get kidnapped in the other games? I think that's why Kyle HAD to kiss her, cause he could've lost her at that point but in the other games she was safe flying in the "Moldy Crow" giving instructions.

Archived