Home

Textures are wrong, please help

KevinCoyle

I just finished my model, and it looks fine in 3dmax, but when I convert it into a glm and use the model in the game, the textures appear all wrong. the textures are there, but there in all the wrong places. Anyone have any idea what might be causeing this?

I could provide some images if it would help any

The screenshot of Jk2 is kinda small and from a weird angle so I am not sure what the problem is.

First I would check the .skin file to see if all the model parts point to the right image file.

If the model parts use the right image file but they seem turned inside out than you ned to flip the normals of those polys. You can do that by going into the polygon mode, select all the polys of that model part and select the flip option (all the way at the bottom of the polygon option screen).

ps. Cool model & skin! :D

I check the .skin file and everything seems to be in order. I have managed to reproduce the problem in max, so it's probably something simple, I've never had to make a models that has needed to be used outside of max before so I'm probably just not doing something right. The way I reproduced the problem is I exported the model as a 3ds then imported it back to max and the textures were messed up the exact same way they are in the game, here is an image of the model after converting

http://www.babylonius.com/invasion/modelas3ds.jpg

it looks like it's using the entire texture for each surface instead of just a part of it. This is how I textured my model, I loaded the bitmap into a material in the material libray, clicked on "view image" under crop and placement, I selected only the area I wanted to use the checked the "apply" box, it worked fine while in max but once converted to the game or to a 3ds, it forgets that I cropped the images. Is there another way that this is suppose to be done?

Nevermind, I figured it out! finally. I didn't realize you HAD to use UVWunwrap, I thought that was only necessary to get a image to paint your skin on and to get rid of distortion, since my model had little distortion I didn't think it unwrapping was necessary

Archived