Home

Obi-Wan Kenobi AOTC Sabre(try #2)

Master Shawn

Your improving BUT, im not gonna let you off!! ^_^, Well what i seeing is a bright red button and bright red nozzle, so shade those to make them feel more real and less.. painted. And youve got yourself a obiwan hilt!. Just maybe add some shadows.. Or maybe hues of it forming a shiny effect with shading. ^_^

VERY nice improvement. HOWEVER:

1.) You have a vanilla-swirl effect on two of the spikes at the bottom. See if you can fix that.

2.) Make the ridges at the top look more like ridges. If you want I can send you a JPG I use for ridges that looks really neat.

Other than that, excellent progress.

Well, I would shrink it down, but I have no desire to once-again mesh this... And its under the 1000 vertex limit, it has over 2000 polys if I remember correctly.

Also, the skin is finished(well, unless you continue to make small complaints :p) here is a picture. obi-sabre.jpg Thnx to Chrono for the ridge texture.

I've also started work on an Obi-Wan ANH sabre, the model is done, but I have yet to make the skin.

It's called skinning. The engine automatically smooth-renders it, so you don't have to have 50000 polys to make it look good.

It's all in the skin, not in the polycount. The sooner you realize this, the better your sabers will become.

Great work btw shawn, glad I could be of some help.

Hey Chrono, maybe you could help me. I made a saber a while back not really that good but it was more for my personal satisfaction and to play around with so I could get better at modeling. Anyways, for some reason I can't figure out how to make a skin map. I can get to the part where I have to lay the model out flat and I just can't do it. If you can help me the saber is gmax format. I would really appreciate it.

Originally posted by zeek2304

Hey Chrono, maybe you could help me. I made a saber a while back not really that good but it was more for my personal satisfaction and to play around with so I could get better at modeling. Anyways, for some reason I can't figure out how to make a skin map. I can get to the part where I have to lay the model out flat and I just can't do it. If you can help me the saber is gmax format. I would really appreciate it.

hmm...which way are you mapping it? If you have a single mesh (meaning you only created a saber from one stack of polygons, instead of multiple shapes) then you should use Cylindrical unwrapping. Otherwise, I recommend LithUnwrap (check google for it). It's free, does a good job, and also allows you to re-export your MD3 out with its new skin-map. Only drawback is sometimes the previewing doesn't work so you may want to open it up in NGLMD3 and check it out first.

Archived