Home

Sand tutorial, from coloseum map

NITEMARE

hi there,

some people have asked me to make a little tut on how to make the sand texture in my duel_coloseum map.

first start with a texture like this SANDSHOR.jpg

and look how ugly it makes the floor gtk-scrsht02.jpg.

ok this texture could use some optimizing but it wouldnt save it from beeing boring like most tiled textures on a bigger surface.

so make a screenshot from the topview of the map in radiant gtk-scrsht01.jpg and load it in photoshop. there u should use it as a transparent layer, so u can draw stuff on the one layer and see where the edges of the brushes are. the goal is to make a unique and map optimized strucutre texture. make some big strokes with airbrush and stuff. it should be very blurry, no detail in it. then go to filters/textures and add craquelure. after that u can ad some more detail around the edges of the brush, to make it more organic and not generated. after that it should look like this arena1.jpg.

then get my map and look into the pk3 file for the shaders dir. there is the shader (textures/decals/test) i used to make the structure texture blend darker. play with the blend modes around but remember the original one. because thats the perfect blendmode for the effect in the game. after u are finished aply the shader on a patch mesh in radiant. just make a brush and tramsform it into a patch matrix, then remove all sides but the top one. then enlarge it to match the size of the ground u want to cover with it and put it just a tiny milimeter over the ground surface. it should look like this gtk-scrsht03.jpg.

if everything went well then it should server the map very well and make it special.

coloseum01.jpg

coloseum02.jpg

Archived