Home

Would u play in this server?

Grabes

Ive recntly been the receiver of some unexpected cash, and ive decided that maybe its about time that i rented my own server. I don't have cable so that make your own server idea is kinda down the tubes :)

Here is what i would setup for my server, if i buy it. Id like to know if there is a huge, even very very small, % of people who would like to play this way, before i plunk down the cash for it. Going rates are 50 to 150 dollars a month, the latter been very very retarded, iam assuming that there p4 2.5 ghz setup is the reason for such a inflatation of price, maybe going along with there website hosting and clan junk that comes with it, yes i know, i ramble.

Anyways, heres how id set it up.

-Custom Kick Mod, made by Dest, author of Jedimod1.1v, great stuff btw. You can still do kick, but it does absolutly no damage.

-Regular 1.04 gameplay. Nothing changed, except if asked for by popular demand. I read somewhere theres a cvar you can change to make the dramatic screen movement in single, that would be cool, but it might hamper time on players.

-Duel server, 3 fights to win a match. Since in a full 8 person game it does take a while for you to get into the action, even with 1 fight a win, this i like. That and you can make sure you don't get cheap ass killed in one move (DFA) and have to wait another 10 mins to play.

-Obvisously full use of force, except lighting, and drain. Lighting is a cheap reliance, and drain makes a match go on forever, especially with 2 people using it. I once waited in observer mode for close to 20 minutes while these 2 idjits "duked" it out, using drain and red stance.

-Admin present at peak times. Yours truly (Fred The Parakeet, hey hows it going folks?) So all cheaters and riff raff can be taken care of, leaving a nice clean server to play, along with your friends, to which i hope i get regulars, id like to finally be able to play with people that feel the same way i do.

-Minnium ping of 120. Minnum means the lowest you can have, this is for you modem users, as i am one. I don't have a fps laggy system, so its easy to see when a guy does 5 swings of blue stance, and you try to sweep up with a yellow becuase you know IT WOULD hit, and yet you get cramed becuase of your laggy connection. Iam sorry, but no matter how good you are, 175 ping can't match the ping of a 50 player, unless they litterly suck, like its there first game, ever.

-Max ping of 300, for obvious reasons. JK2's net code is not modem friendly, and a laggy person really hurts every other person with a modem in the server. Especially felt during and after connection and disconnection times.

-Custom maps, models, MAYBE skins. I don't like skins becuase there sometimes not made to fit the model, and reworked skins like the new spy kyle, is, kinda lame attempt by the author, some kins are just not very good IMO (no offense to author of skin refrence, good idea, maybe for a model) Models on the other hand have skins that fit it, and are made to capture personna or color diffrences. The only reason a model won't be on my server is becuase i haven't seen it, or didn't download it becuase of the author telling you that it is in beta stage. Id rather wait for them to finalize there model and be happy with it, then to download somthing that iam just going to have to delete later on. Maps as well, as many custom duel maps, i d/l most of them that i find intresting, and good looking. Even if they have gotten a relativly bad score. All this stuff i will upload ASAP onto the server, and restart the server after about 10 additions. (I d/l at least 2 to 3 things day, so restarts would mostly likely happen frequently, during offtimes of course)

**Bnnable offenses**

These are the things that i would consider bannable, permantly.

-Cheating, this includes scripting. You come into my server, and i see you get into a saber lock, and drop the other persons saber like its a straw, your gone. Scripting to get a unfair advantage, pull off moves with one touch of a button, and that kinda stuff, is a cheat. I will not have it, as i believe that the gameplay should be fun and clean for all.

-Excessive use of language racial slurs, whatever. You don't like that you lost, thats fine, flame in a intelligent way, although calling someone somthing once or twice is a little humorous i find, and i am not going to freak out at the first sight of the word f@g or anything.

-Excessive use of a move to win. You shouldn't have to rely on any of the 3 moves to win your match, and i won't play you again if you do. Its funny to see people go from blue lunge right into a DFA so they can catch you while your jumpiung at them or somthing. Its a insta kill move, which i may nerf a bit, half damage, thru the server commands, but it is really lame way to win, i like to duel and use moves, but i like a good fight, timing strikes. This is probably a bad thing for most clanners, as ive seen alot of them rely on yellow and red for there death hits, oh well.

-Anything else that comes up in this gameworld. Lots of things have changed even since the last patch, that its hard to come up with some kind of rules. Obvisously i want everyone to play fair and enjoy there time, but the fact of the matter is, everyone has diffrent views of what rules to play by. In my server you don't have to bow, but if they are typing or there saber is not out, you should hold your attacks, its just nice. I find bowing a useless gesture, along with the typing of good fight. Thats just a matter of opinion, and your free to do it, just be aware that bowing could result a DFA coming at you.

Thats about it, i know on paper it sounds like if you sneeze ill ban you, but its just how id like to play, and iam sure others ould like it as well. Iam not a mean person either, but i am personally just fed up with the community in JK2 so far. Its turning into another hapless community, where people rather win at all costs, then enjoy a fight.

The only other thing that may change here is i might run the style over substance mod, it looks like it is the kind of thing i am looking, especially with the force foresight.

~Grabes

(Fred The Parakeet)

I doubt it would get too laggy, i mean depending on where i get the server from, it will be a major line, defintly some high grade pipe. That and i doubt the server would ever be full. There lists and lists of empty duel servers, what iam looking for is a couple of regulars that would like to play, and keep it going, not to be a hotspot for major action. Ill leave that to the clans, well a few clans, as only they, and they alone, can truly wield the power of the DFA, come one come all, glory be to those scriptors. :)

Yes i know, they don't script, its a illusion on my part for my bad playing skillz.

CHIRP!

Dude, i have had modem, for 4 years. Don't you think ive checked it out every year? Supposed copnnections were going to be avaible by the summer of this year, (said in 1998). No dice. There is no cable, dsl, or isdn avaible in my city. If there was, iam pretty sure i would get it.

Ok now we are getting off topic.

You're eliminating a bunch of players with the minimum ping. Most of the players I play against have a ping of 50-100. I know you are at a disadvantage at 200+ ping. I used to have dial up. I did very well at several games with tactics that specifically apply to very laggy players (I'll give that at the bottom... just to stay on topic).

As for that kick mod, I am SO in favor of that. Is that just a server-side thing or do I need to download that. I don't mind kick at all, but getting killed by it is just... un-starwars like. Also, I suggest these settings:

g_saberdamagescale 2 (3 for FFA, CTF) - More realistice duels, and a chance against the un-Starwars guns (Flechette, Repeater).

g_sabertracesaberfirst 0 - No blocking sabers with the belt that's holding up your pants. If you do a DFA, and I bring my saber down on your back, you should die.

g_saberghoul2collision 1

g_dismember 300 - (If clients don't want it, they can turn it off on their machines).

Anyhoo, for the lag tactics, you must remember that what you're seeing is not correct. You have to realize that if you're fighting someone (say in Duel), and they come at you with red stance, you're going to have to move earlier than you think. On the server, the other player is a step or two ahead from where he is on your screen. If someone launches a rocket, don't ever wait until the last second to push it. If you do, then the rocket has already hit you on the server, and the damage packet is on it's way. Also, when attacking (with guns or saber), you must lead extra to account for your lag. Yeah, on your screen it may look like you're chopping or shooting air, but it works.

I learned that lesson in mechwarrior. Its fun to lead a target :p

As for cutting out a majority of the players, i dont care. Many of them think they rule becuase they win, with a 50 ping lol. The best duels i have ever had have been against people of my connection, which is just fine with me.

That and id like to get rid of some the clan garbage that comes my way alot.

I only play duels becuase i can't handle the guns. I play enough FPS as it is, id like to get a little dirty with my hands once in a while, saber only for me.

As for Raz...yes u can rent game servers. Youve never see nthe ads? If u type in in game server rentals at yahoo, and check the pages, you'll get quite a few hits. The problem is weeding thru the ones that are junk.

~Hoping this gets popped back up for more to reply~

Archived