Home

.roq files on a saber?

GabrielXen

I read a little bit of the .roq files tutorial and started thinking... Would it be possible to add these to sabers..? It said something about making them as shaders, so... Here's my idea;

If anyone has seen my force pike, you'll know that it has the rod that extends through where the core of the saber's blade goes... I wanted to have an animated lightning effect 'swirling' around this rod and I'm wondering if anyone knows if a .roq would accomplish this...? All I'd need are 150 .tga images for 5 seconds of animation, a few black images to make the glow of the saber 'disappear', and the know-how to get it into the shaders prog and put it on the pike... I can do all of it, except the last part cause I've never messed with shaders...

Well, post your thoughts or comments about this and let us all know what everyone thinks about this 'idea'...

-Gabriel-

:c3po:

Well, I tried it and I'm now officially stuck... I've got the images for a "trial run" made up, but in the tutorial it said to compile it from a command line... Anybody know what this means...? I tried it from the DOS command, but haven't tried it in Linux yet...*hopes he doesn't have to try Linux* Maybe it has to be from DOS but I just suck at DOS... *shrug*

Any help would be good...

-Gabriel-

Start up an MS-DOS prompt (Start->Programs->Accessories), then go to the directory where the roq exe, i.e.

C:\WINDOWS>cd..

C:\>cd "Program Files"

C:\Program Files>cd "LucasArts", etc etc.

when you're in the directory where the roq decoder is, run it by typing roq.exe and pressing enter and then it will tell what to do.

suck at dos? oh well....

you just have to type what the tutorial says into a dos prompt, just like Commodus said...it takes a little while tho, so be prepared to make yourself a cup of tea and sit back for a while

my animation i made as a test to replace the Activision/Raven logo at the intro as 3 seconds or so and it took about 40mins on my celeron950 so....

just out of interest, i mailed Mike Gummelt from raven after the first editing pack came out and complained about the lack of roq compiler, so in the second pack, the roq compiler was included :)

if you need help w/ command line stuff, let me know....

1) click start->run

-------------------------------------------------

If you're in Windows 95, 98, or ME:

2) type command in the run dialog

Windows XP, Windows2000, or WindowsNT:

2) type cmd in the run dialog

-------------------------------------------------

3) type c:\program files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\Tools\roq.exe (or whatever the path is to your roq.exe)

When you do, you'll see the following:

C:\games\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\Tools>roq

roq

roq video file maker

© 1995 Trilobyte, Inc.

Buid Date: Feb 17 2002

use: roq file.param -q(quiet) -d dir (decode param's images to dir)

C:\games\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\Tools>

The ROQ doc from Lucasarts pretty much tells ya what you need to know from there. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Also, any clue how to take a Flash (swf) file and split it into TGAs (yes, it is 30 fps...)

Well, in Flash you can export each frame as an image, and I think it supports .tga... And guys, thanks... I was pointing it to the wrong folder... lol I don't think I have a roq.exe though... Might need a newer version of the SDK... What's the sof2map application...?

I'll try it again when I have a few hours to kill and let you know something... Then I'll have to figure out how to do the shader part...

-Gabriel-

Okay... this rules... and stuff.. I did like Matariel said and went back and got real fu$%in' nit-picky with the .roq tutorial, and now I have a small .roq file! Suc-fu$%in'-cess!!!

Now... Anybody know how to add it to a shader..? Then add the shader to the pike..?

*Note*This post has been rated PG-13, and I hope the language used in said post hasn't off-ended anyone...*End fu$%in' note*

-Gabriel-

:clap2:

:urpdude:

Archived