Home

?Water + Fog = can't get out

nomad

I have the Yavintrail water shader and I've used Yavinfog_white as well as YavinFog. When I don't have the fog there. I can get out of the water, but when I put the fog in I cannot. Any one have any reasons or sollutions? (besides making a nice slope or steps to walk out from the water)

Also, I'm using the Yavintrail water because so far it looks the best for what I want. Does anyone know off-hand of some others that you can't see through from the surface and or has a low visibility range? (Maybe one that doesn't move)

-nomad

WIP thread should be coming soon.

Thanks, after reading my initial post I realize that I should have been a little more speciffic.

The fog brush is defifnitely textured properly and it isn't solid.

I can breach the water, stick my head out, etc. - but when I swim to the edge I cannot just run/climb out (I CAN when the fog is NOT there though)

It's just weird. I have the water shallow enough in one area so that I can get out, but when I use the same map WITHOUT the fog I can get out ANYWHERE.

The edge of the water and the ground are at the same height and the fog brush comes down to the same ground level (it does not go below).

One other thing I am noticing now is that the fog does not appear above the water. The fog does work fine everywhere else.

I just thought this to be a curious problem.

Perhaps the Yavintrail water shader has some kind of conflict with fog shaders... any one familiar with such issues?

thanks again for any help :)

-nomad

MTFBWY

Just an idea: water is fog, isn't it? I mean for the game's engine it is. This could be the problem.

Try to put the water texture to the fog brush! Or make somewhere two water brushes on each other! If I'm right, you'll be not able to jump out as with the fog. AND, you'll be not able to swim to the top of the upper water.

I'm not sure about these, as I said before this is just an idea, but with a little sense. :)

RichDiesal, I have one area where the water only comes up to the character's ankles and he can jump (and/or run) out fine. I even have another area with a long slope that goes into the water and I'm able to walk up that without a problem. And there IS fog right at the surface of all of these areas.

The first test I will do is to replace the water texture with another one, to see if it is that particular shader causing the problem. I would have done that sooner if I had known this was an unkown quirk. I just figured someone here would smack me on the head with the obvious answer and send me on my way ;) I have tried it with different fog shaders and they both had the same result.

I haven't been able to test out any theories yet, because the small amount of time I've been able to devote to my map recently, I've been using to focus on other areas.

Leslie Judge, I've had the same thoughts. The only weird thing is that I can swim up and reach the top of the water brush and swim around. So, in your theory the character IS entering the bottom of the second water brush (The fog). Though it is possible that getting out is another story on it's own.

I've always wondered what would happen if you put a water brush in the middle of the air...

Archived