Home

How Big is too big?

Takeoffyouhoser

I am currently drawing out some plans for all the ideas I have outright, and then only making a map with whats on the paper as to speed this process up....

My dilemma I am coming across is that my map is F'n huge!! Not that this is bad thing, but, how will this affect framerates?

I have all blocking structures drawn on paper, and even my bigger open areas aren't that big and open....but, Should I make 2 seperate maps or just make one big one?

The size of a level will only affect fps if you do it wrong... or if you design it as all one room... It will affect compile times and load-times, but if you use area-portal brushes properly, the computer will only have to draw the room you're in (and bits of the next room) at any given point in time. This means that huge and tiny levels alike, when done properly, can have the same fps.

-Slunker

good, another EAsygen user.... Hurray!!

I have a few questions for you....

1) did you get blended terrain working...? Ie.. Alphamaps..

2) When you boxed your terrain, did your terrain appear black?

If so, how'd you fix it?

Also, About your question.... did you try using the terrain itself a blocker ? Also, how about trying an area portal

1) did you get blended terrain working...? Ie.. Alphamaps..

I have deleted all the keys and just left "classname: func_group" because it didn´t compiled. So I didn´t have used Alphamaps yet.

2) When you boxed your terrain, did your terrain appear black?

If so, how'd you fix it?

I had no problems after deleting the other keys

1. Split the map up into multiple levels. It's SP, right?

2. DO NOT use all detail brushes. This is bad. VERY bad. VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY bad. Did I say it was bad?

Instead, follow logic. Make structures with struct brushes and details with detail brushes. Struct brushes should be the walls of a room, perhaps some brush pillars or something. Details should be stairs, trims, desks, uh, control panels, that sort of thing.

Making a pillar into a detail brush won't do a bit of good except make your compile times longer unless it's a damn huge one. The main use for a structural brush in the middle of the room would be a large dividing wall... that might be helpful, but you would likely still need to hint it to make it all that useful. Maybe not tho. Would depend on the specific situation.

Question Rich, I don't know if you're familiar with my current map, but it has a large cave with a farily large entrance and two additional entrances. (you can see pics if you click on the link in my sig) So (if you've seen the cave in my pic) do you think I can make the cave walls structural and put hint brushes near the entrances? In other words, do you think it would be of any benefit at all to my map?

SunBurN

I was thinking along the same lines from the get go Emon. I have planned to break it up into 2 levels when I decided a tram would be used in the game.

I can split it up into 1st map...

Outdoor terrain

level 1 and 2 of south base

central core

Tram

and level 2

Command Center

Living qtrs

Hangar

labs

Microbrewery

warehouse