Home

?What to do if Compiler wont make BSP file?

Karshaddii

I have had the dreaded error--and I know their have been many threads about this--but in none of them I saw an answer.

The compiler wont make a .bsp file for a particular map.

Here is the log (well, the important part anyways..)

Loading map file c:/program files/lucasarts/star wars jk ii jedi outcast/gamedata/base/maps/facoutside2.map

entering c:/program files/lucasarts/star wars jk ii jedi outcast/gamedata/base/maps/facoutside2.map

Entity 0, Brush 138: duplicate plane

Entity 0, Brush 152: duplicate plane

WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader noshader

writing c:/program files/lucasarts/star wars jk ii jedi outcast/gamedata/base/maps/facoutside2.prt

WARNING: misc_model at 1464 1592 288 without a model key

NumPoints (69) exceed MAX_POINTS_ON_WINDING (64). Sample points: (-478.13 1286.00 576.00) (96.00 1286.00 568.00) (736.00 1286.00 568.00)

What do I edit in my map to get the sucker to compile?

Thanks a bunch!

But--I am still a bit lost on how to actually SOLVE this problem.

ERROR: WindingFromDrawSurf failed: MAX_POINTS_ON_WINDING exceeded

""There are too many vertices repeating themselves along a single axis. It can also mean you have a "brush side polygon" somewhere with more than 64 corner points.""

I have alot of Gensurf terrain and walls....could this be the problem?

If your using GEnsurf terrain and one LONG wall for example, the number of vertices (when the BSP process runs and fragments all your geometry into triangles) that touch that wall would (possibly) exceed 69 (in this case). Go to the points called out in the junk.txt output i.e:

Sample points: (-478.13 1286.00 576.00) (96.00 1286.00 568.00) (736.00 1286.00 568.00)
and find the interfering geometry. Usually it's one large wall or floor, etc. Then simply split it a few times along it's length (make three walls instead of one...)

Spoon_Gouge

Ahah--I have help!

But--unfortunately it's in greek. = )

NumPoints (86) exceed MAX_POINTS_ON_WINDING (64). Sample points: (-404.00 -308.00 -232.00) (-244.00 -308.00 -232.00) (-84.00 -308.00 -232.00)

SoF2Map v1.0c © 2000 Raven Software Inc.

Now, how do I determine which is the offending brush?

Well, you're given three points (x1,y1,z1)... Since the Y values (-308) and Z values (-232) are the same in each, chances are you are looking for a brush that has an edge along (...,-308,-232) and passes through those three x values. My guess is that this brush also has a number of other brushes intersecting or touching it along that same line. Find the brush and split it (using clipper) into several brushes. This should be realitivly easy and not effect textures or shaders you have applied to the brush at all. The fix is an easy one and you should be up and running in no time...

Spoon_Gouge

Yes, just split the walls up. It'll ;A) actually let you compile, and B) will improve the framerate. I had a similar problem when I started on my outdoor level. I had made the ground out of large, highly complex patch mesh. When I tried to load it in-game, it dumped me back to the main menu and gave me a lovely 'MAX MESH FACES' error message. So, after some help from Ishionu at the Massassi Temple, I split the mesh up, and it worked fine.

Archived