Home

custom .md3 not textured

FEXX

I am using 3ds max 4 and the Export MD3 beat 6 by Pop N Fresh and a max 4 script called "ChilliSkinner" (http://www.chilliweb.co.uk/chilliskinner).

See what I get here:

http://www2.applesolutions.com/other/notexture.jpg

See no texture on the game, but I get the textures to appear in both JK2Radiant and M3DView - but not in game play.

I did the tutorial at that page on the computer case, and exported the model as a .md3. But I get an error message when I do, it says "There was not a one to one correspondence between texture vertices and true vertices. UV map may contain errors."

I save the .md3 and its texture as the same name, so "case01.md3" and "case01.jpg" in the ...GameData\base\models\map_objects\new\case01.md3

Well, I then go in to MD3View v1.51 and try to load my new .md3 file - and it comes in fine, no errors, and the texture is on it too correctly.

I then go into JK2Radiant and Right-Click to add the misc entity and pick 'misc_model'. I then press Cancel when it wants a path, and then enter in my own 'model' key and the path for the model 'models\map_objects\new\case02.md3' - bang I can see my model in JK2Radiant and it has the proper texture on it.

Now I did a BSP Full(Vis) and wait, then go into JK2 MP (it is a MP map) and use devmap test4 and the map loads up fine, and when I get into the map, other models are there with proper textures, but my model is in the map, but it has no texture! Why does my own model have no texture in the game? Why am I missing or doing wrong?

But why does the model import ok in both JK2Radiant and MD3View but not when I actually Vis the map and test it out?

After about seven hours of test after test and try after try I have discovered some strange stuff. And I still cannot get my case04.jpg test texture to appear on my custom .md3 file

But! I saw this error on the console window:

"Refusing to load non-power-2-dims(400,400) pic "models/mapobject/test5/case04"...

I will try to change my texture map from 400x400 to 512x512 and see if that works...

Truly amazing.

I changed the texture map size to export at 512x512 vs. my original 400x400 with Texporter 3.4 in 3ds max 4.2.

Went through all the steps again, and made a complete .pk3 file and it finally was skinned correctly! And I did not think to look at the command console for error messages. I just stumbled on it by mistake as I was typing in it.

Yes KMan, right on.

I am very happy I am past this, and for it I really know the process of skinning a custom .md3 model now.

This test finally worked, my custom .md3 is skinned:

http://www2.applesolutions.com/other/onit.jpg

I should add however that it seems to only work with a correctly made .pk3 file. Without the .pk3 file, it won't find my texture and looks wrong again.

Archived