Home

Importing backrounds to viewports in Max

Darth Vigrid

When I try to create an image file in the backround of one of the viewports, It doesn't work. When I click under devices in the viewport backround dialog box, it says there are no input/output devices and no driver to handle the given file. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'd greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

I'd advise not using that method. Create a plane the same dimensions as the image you wish to use, and apply the image to it as a material. Change the properties of the plane so that it is not gray when frozen. Then freeze it so you don't move or select it accidentally.

i just did the 'viewport background' option and loaded two jpgs (one for front, one for side) this is the only way you'll get them to exactly line up...as long as your two pics are properly formatted (and believe me, im making a model based upon anime artwork, anime doesnt really take into account the 3rd dimension, so at the start it was very out of proportion :) )

either way, if you make your model with a reference picture behind, you'll get some quality in the end, instead of 'playing by ear' modelling <shudder>

Archived