Home

IP question

Jedi Spy

I don't believe you will have a problem. IP is logged more for confirming whereabouts a given user is in case they post something illegal or need to be banned. Ask a moderator for better details.

On a side note, each PC in the network will have it's own IP - different IP addresses will be logged depending on which computer you use.

Being an admin, I'd say no you wouldn't get banned for the actions of others based on IP. As each IP would be different, unless your behind a NAT, or proxy and have no real IP of your own. IN that case your SOL..

Another situation is if one of those said users becomes a really big recurring problem, where the admin might have to ban IP's. In that case an admin may just ban the entire range. I have done that in the past myself with some AOL users. 1 AOL user in particular forced me to ban a big range. In particular all philadelphia dialup AOL users. :(

So to answer your question, yes it can happen. Not knowing what exactly your network setup is I couldn't tell you. But if you have a real unique IP assigned to you, then you shouldn't worry too too much.

As far as i know, yes each individual workstation in the college has its own unique IP address, but each workstation also connects to the main college Proxy, for accessing http.

Our college also has a firewall.

So based on that info i would gather that because of the proxy we may all be using the same IP, but the fact that we have informed the forum moderators on this should it be a problem?

If so then, looks like Jedi spy was there first.

Unless we over throw him.

[insert taunt to jedi spy here] :swrd2:

Archived