Home

"Canon" and Modding

razorace

How much should "Canonness" appeal to Masters of the Force / Star Wars games?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How much should "Canonness" appeal to Masters of the Force / Star Wars games?

• A) Be very strict. \"If it didn\'t happen in the movies it doesn\'t exist.\"
    • B) Do implied logical connections. Sure, Yoda didn\'t technically \'Wall Walk\' but he\'s fast enough to do it if he wanted to...for a short burst\"
    • C) Use additional Non-Lucas material (Extended Universe). \"Human Replicant Assasins...Luke turning to the Dark Side for a time...It\'s ALL good.\"

I was talking with AB_Legion and he bought up a good point. How closely should we, the Masters of the Force Team, stick to the "canon" material of the films for design? A good example that I was discussing with AB_Legion was the reloading of blasters. There's three basic ways to look at it.

A) You never SEE anyone reload so you shouldn't in the game.

B) It's implied by visual clues (reload port, extra clips) that you need to reload SOMETIME and therefore should still have to reload at least occasionally.

C) Dude! Han's blowing thru the ammo, he just reloads off camera because it'd slow down the pace of the movie!

This issue applies to other things as well like power weapon design and EU (Extended Universe) material.

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Your input could change the direction of the Mod. Personally, I'm for B or C, I like some of the EU stuff and it would be nice to have some non-blaster guns in the game.

The main link for this Mod is here.

Razor Ace

you know what I think, I want reloading very much.

think of it this way: how do we not know that reloading will be in ep3? if we are wrong, we take it out in 3 years:D

I get the poll, it does that sometime...

dammit, dont worry about it, its a forum bug, it inserts a / when ever there is a "

dumb, but I cant fix it.

Well if you stick to just MOVIE CANNON, only green, blue, purple and red sabers can be used in the mod. Not a big thing. As for reloading, I've read alot of the Expanded Universe, especially the current NJO series. The "clips" or blaster packs are like battery packs for the blaster. And they usually take awhile to drain. I mean long firefights may drain one a half hour in EU perspective. As for the guns themselves, the current JO guns are way too easy to kill with IMO and are never seen in the movies and rarely in the EU. If you stuck with a movie Canon the guns would be...

Briar Pistol (replace with upcoming Blastech44 model being made)

Imperial Repeater (basic stormtrooper gun)

Bowcaster

And you could replace one of the others with Liea's pistol model.

And the DEMP could be modified so that it's more like the guns the Geonosians use in AOTC. The others would be out.

If you included the EU the Tenloss Disruptor would be added. There is a Golan Arms Flechette gun in one or two of the older books but I didn't get the impression they fired the way it does in the game. I'd hence take it out, as well as the rocket launcher and heavy repeater.

As for Force powers, perhaps adding some new ones if you could.

TK Throw (telekenesis) - for objects in the environment.

Energy Absorb (not force absorb) - As we see Vader do in ESB when Han fires at him and Vader absorbs it into his hand.

Force Falling (lighten falls from high places)

Force Redirect (like in AOTC Yoda redirects Dooku's lightning at him)

Also I think some of the forces should be made neutral such as Mindtrick and the ones listed above. In the EU darksiders can use "mind control" so it's safe to assume they could use mindtrick as well.

I'm sure I can think of more things but it's late.

Well, I'm thinking reload should be in the game but make it an occasional occurance for standard blaster weapons. Projectile / non standard weapons are a totally different matter.

-=Lord Oz=-: Please read the design doc in the MotF thread before making suggestions. :) Those Force Powers are already in there. However, good idea with the DEMP weapon change. :)

Razor Ace

Archived