Home

Obi-Wan on XBox

Guest mtw4

Guest mtw4

Screenshots for the new Obi-Wan game due out in December (?) look promising. Looks to be a suped-up combo of the Phantom Menace and JPB games. Has anyone found a preview of the game anywhere (i.e., IGN)?

Guest Kurgan

We have a preview from last E3.. over at www.lucasgames.com

Of course I have no idea (other than a few graphical additions for force powers/saber and some new enemy models) how much the game has changed since we saw it.

As to previews of the new game, I would guess there aren't going to be any before E3, unless they are done by LucasArts themselves.

Kurgan

Guest Kurgan

Nevermind, LucasGames is still down. ; p

Dangit, I wish Don would get that fixed.

Anyhow, sorry, don't know of any previews. There were some at Gamespot though, but again, all stuff from last E3. Nothing for the new Xbox version.

But I will say this: this game is (or was) NOTHING like Jedi Power Battles or TPM: the Game.

For one thing, the camera is like that in third person view for JK. Last we checked (when it was still on PC) there was no glyph saber system, but you COULD switch to first person if you wanted to, mainly for use with guns.

It HAD multiplayer (not sure if it still will, hope so), and you could pick non-Jedi characters as well as Jedi and Sith.

But the attack system with sabers was basically a combination of JK's saber system and the "glyph" system. The normal JK-like system had just regular swings, double swings, etc. So it was nothing like JPB's "combo based" system. Plus blocking was automatic. Although you needed to use a force power called "Force Block" in order to reflect shots back at enemies (otherwise they just went off in random directions).

JPB, you had to hold a block key, and you had to press it the exact moment a shot hit your saber, to send it back. In TPM, you had to slash the shots like a baseball bat hitting a ball in order to send them back.

Plus the missions are very different from either game. JPB confined itself mainly the the locales/missions of the movie (though they added some new bosses). TPM as well.

Obi-Wan originally was going to take off on several alternate paths not seen in the movies (although I guess you're still on the same planets featured in the movies).

Obi-Wan would add some new non-Droid characters as well (Sith agents, Tusken Chieftan, etc.). Plus you fought bounty hunters, etc. The cool thing was that supposedly most of these cool characters you could also select in Multiplayer.

Again, this is all old info.. I have no idea how much is retained or changed in this version. Hopefully it isn't a stripped-down/dumbed down version.

Kurgan

[This message has been edited by Kurgan (edited May 10, 2001).]

Guest Hybrid_Sith

um heres some shots for the x box version of obie wan http://xbox.ign.com/news/34310.html

looks pretty good specially the pick labeled =something backgrounds at corascant

but the rest look alright aswell

------------------

adventure, Excitement

a jedi craves not these things

If you read my other post you will see that I followed the PC Obi Wan production closely, Declaring LEC to be briliant, having finaly produced a game worth playing even in unfinished form (Yes I would have gladly paid $40 for the game even in the condition it was in prior to cancelation) The game was just that good. Then they canceled it after I wasted months of my life devoting my self to my Obi Wan Clan The Phantom Knights. I have since then cursed LEC as the most moronic and self-destructive company in the world, creating games that nobody wants to play due to their poor quality. Well this new X-Box Version may just be the final nail in their coffin. Having studied the info and pics released on this one, and comparing it to my extensive knowledge of the PC version, I have concluded that they have striped and redesigned the game, destroying all that I liked about it. The Glyph system will undoubtedly be removed, The Models have been redesigned to appeal to CARTOON FANS! Thats right folks, look at the original, the X-BOX version looks like a cartoon compaired to the Lush, Realistic PC Version (limited technology my @$$) Look at the saber blade, its as thick as the handle! and that saber trail, can anyone say TPM FOR PC/PSX!? SABER TRAILS BLUR THE WHITE CORE NOT THE GLOW!! AND IT ONLY EXTENTS A LITTLE BIT! These are terrible. The force powers are not supposed to be visible,look at the films, and portions of JK/MotS, There is no cloud of smoke (or whatever that crap is) involved in force push, its invisible. Im betting they have gotten rid of the realistic physics engine too. and of course the texturing has been dumbed down, considering that the PC Version featured multi-channel layers of texture adding depth and reality. Thats gone. And lastly, now, in order to play this game we will have to shell out around $360 (including game price). I am clearly not going to be playing this one because im not paying all that for a console I dont even want!

------------------

Honor above all else. That is the way of the Phantom Knight

Guest Kurgan

Hey, I'm sure I'll be renting this one...

Unless it gets ported, I have no plans to buy an Xbox either.

But nitpicking about the lightsaber graphics and force effects? Nah, that's not for me.

The determining factor for me will be features and gameplay. If it's bare-bones and has shoddy gameplay, then it gets a thumb's down in my book.

But if it's fun and offers some variety, then it's good. ; )

Kurgan

Guest mtw4

Well, I don't know a damned thing about the Xbox, to be honest. I was planning on selling my PSX and DC plus all the games for a down payment on a new a console. I have no idea which one. So why is everyone so down on the XBox?

My brother has PS@ and I'm generally a fan, but I have no idea how the next set of consoles will compare to it. Time to start my online research. If any one knows of a good article detailing the strengths/weaknesses of PS2 versus XBox and others, let me know.

Archived