Home

New Modeler look for advice

Raynar Thul

Alright here's the deal. I'm your average gamer who has made a couple of skins for JK2 for his own use and would really like to try his hand at modeling new characters and what not.

Now I've found plenty of tutorials and have the base model files from Raven, but are there any other programs besides 3D Studio Max that I can use?

I'm a college student and I don't have the $3,000 whatever dollars it cost to buy that program.

Are there other programs out there that I can get for a reasonable fee, or am I just gonna have to put this off till I can increase my cash flow?

Please help.

-Raynar Thul

Which one is better to use? well use your judgement. With 200 odd some posts that you have, surely you have some idea of what has been posted here.

Anyways, There is an ongoing debate over at 3dbuzz, That c-dilla does internet activity. The programmers over there are calling it the SUPER virus. It will never ever go away......lol...Werid, Does anybody know what c-dilla is doing on the net? who is it communicating with? where is the signal going?

well, i have over 200 posts cause of the mapping forum mainly...

I am brainchild behind Imperial Brewery...

*background...Kyle, loosing his jedi abilities by a bash on his noggin, is sent to a small rainy/snowy planet to investigate Rodian shipping activity deep in imperial space. He finds the Empire is running a microbrewery , which brings in some extra money for that base and empire alike.... my level takes place after JO....a few years... the empire are more splintered and run things a bit more off the cuff...

I may need another mapper for this project...due to its size and my lack of alot of build time... but am not sure yet....

back to models..

The reason i want to know this stuff is so i can make a model of Bruce dickinson, Iron Maiden's frontman, as an easter egg in my level....

I'm just looking for a push in the right direction for this modeling stuff is all.......

Just remember that even a student edition of max is two months rent. Something I can't cough up. But then again, I have the luxery of having an industrial design section at uni who use max (and a whole swatch of other programs) :)

Now I'm not advocating piracy, but I can see that if someone wants to start modeling for a game, often milkshape just won't cut it. And trust me, a lot of people who are professional modelers now would have started with an....'unofficial' version of a pro modeling tool. And when they got good, and got jobs in the industry, hey presto...that software just sold another seat.

It's a chicken and egg problem...which I do agree shouldn't really be held here. But without it, I bet there would be quite a few less pro modelers out there.

Archived