Home

Question for Dreamcast JPB players...

Guest Kurgan

Guest Kurgan

Okay, I finally got my hands on JPB DC, and I must say, they seem to have done a pretty good job of improving it over the (IMHO awful) PSX version.

There's still some stuff I wish they'd put in though, like the ability to attack/block in mid-air, and the targetting system is good, but could be better. There's a few glitches here and there as well...

I have a gameshark, so I can make the game a lot less frustrating by using codes. However I haven't found any codes to unlock characters (only unlock levels, and give you max score, etc).

So I was wondering, does anyone have any gameshark codes to unlock the new characters?

I've only beaten the game with Qui Gon (which unlocks Darth Maul and a bunch of other people in Vs. Mode). But is there any way I can use the new characters in the normal game (not just Verses)? That's what I'd like to do.

Any help is appreciated!

Update: I found a couple of posts several months old that mentioned typing in cheat codes with the DC keyboard. However, I have two keyboards (one I'm typing on right now) which is a modern one, and the other is an old AT keyboard that's hooked to my DC. So the fact that I can't type in the codes (when I hit the tilde ` the menu doesn't come up) might have something to do with that.

Of course none of these codes allows me to do what I wanted to do above.

I didn't actually "beat the game" in the true sense, I only used the GS to unlock all levels, and then just skipped to the end and beat Maul. To get the hidden characters in single player, do you have to have your skill level maxed out or something? Just curious, because I have a bunch of characters unlocked in VS mode (some with their faces still displayed in silouette, but all playable), but in SP, I'm still limited to the starting five Jedi.

I did check Gamefaqs.com and the Gameshark website, but only found the codes I've already tried (infinite credits, infinite force, infinite items, all levels unlocked for all players, max "score" for both players).

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Kurgan

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

Guest Dave Maul

The silhoetted characters in Vs mode don't have pics because they don't exist in the movie: Flame Droids, for example. That's why, just to clear up.

As for the skill question, as far as I know you only have to complete the level, but obviously if it doesn't work for you then I'm incorrect. If someone could let me know I'd appreciate it because I wrote the secrets guide over at GameFAQs.com :)

Guest Kurgan

Thanks Maul.

Well according to one source I read (can't recall now) all you have to do to unlock Darth Maul (in single player mode) is to "complete the game" with Qui Gon Jinn.

So what I did was use the gameshark codes that "unlock all levels" for each character (five codes were turned on to accomplish this) and sure enough all levels unlocked.

So I fire up a game in "Jedi Mode" with Master Qui and jump to level 10 with level 1 skill (ouch) Qui Gon, and beat it, watch the ending, hurray.

I also tried the "max score" cheat, on the first level. My score was like 9999..etc, and when I beat the level I was able to "buy" health, a combo, and I must have been awarded a bunch of lives (I couldn't tell how many because I had 99). Upon checking the VS. mode I saw the characters unlocked (Maul, Amidala, Panaka, Flame/Rifle/Battle/Loader/Destroyer droids, Ishi bibi whatever his name is, Weequay, that other alien smuggler dude, the two Tuskens, and I think that's it.

The source said I'm supposed to "press start" on Qui Gon to use Darth Maul. But when I do that, it just selects Qui Gon, and the game begins, and I'm not Maul.

Should I be "loading game" instead of starting a "new" game? But then there was no way to save it after I won.

Is that the proper way to select him, or am I supposed to press some other keys or something?

I should check your secrets guide again, just to be sure I'm not doing something obviously wrong. ; )

Kurgan

Guest Kurgan

Okay, now I realize that after winning the game I DO have to save it (the first time I must have hit the button too fast and missed the "save: yes/no" box).

Then once saved, I have to LOAD GAME (the game that was just saved) and then I can select the new character.

And if I do it in 1 player mode, that's a seperate save from 2 player mode (pretty lame if you ask me).

So I just ran Obi and Qui through the final level to unlock Panaka and Maul (who both now have all of the levels to unlock). Next time I'll run Maul and Adi through together, thus unlocking Amidala, etc.

So as long as I keep a 1 player save and a 2 player save, I should be set.

In the end of 'course, I'll be able to pick any character and fire up any level, with one or two players.

Now, to get the keyboard cheats to work...

; )

PS: I was fighting Maul (yes, I was using the infinite items cheat) and I thermal-detonatored Maul into the pit (then I tossed TD's down on him for like ten minutes).

He eventually teleported back up, and I killed him easily in a few strikes. No matter where he's at, he reappears near the edge and basically jumps in, lol.

Update:

I tried using my Win98 internet keyboard (logitech) and it didn't work. I tried plugging it into control port 3 and powering up the game, but I couldn't get anything to appear onscreen, tilde or any other key.

However, I am using the madcatz keyboard connector and not an official DC keyboard. Still, the connector works fine with Quake3 and UT, I don't see why it wouldn't work with this game, if it indeed has keyboard support built in.

Also I'm thinking now that any guide that says "press start on X" to select X new character is confusing this with the PSX version. In the DC version, you cycle through portraits of each character at the beginning of a game, and Maul and Panaka's pics just appeared in the cycle, they didn't replace anyone.

So now I have a saved game that has all levels unlocked for everyone except for Maul and Panaka. I guess I have to manually go through the game with them to get to the end, unless a gameshark code is found for them. To unlock Amidala, I just need to start on the last level with Adi Gallia and beat it (and in 2 player mode to unlock Amidala in that mode).

Kurgan

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

Guest Dave Maul

Ah, you just answered what I was about to... yes, the PSX version required you to highlight a character and press 'start', but the DC version you just cycle through the piccies of the jedi. In the PSX version the character selection screen was the Jedi Council with 3d models of the characters, but in the DC you get blue-haze images instead... probably because it has 5 secret characters instead of three... maybe... I dunno...

And have ya unlocked the Battle Droid yet? ;) I STILL get mails about that thing...

Archived