Home

level design q.

Takeoffyouhoser

when you guys make a level... do you draw it out first....or do you just draw it on in-editor?

The problem on this end is that I am no artist, nor am i an archetect. using GTK radiant is easy... its jsut trying to plan out what I want is the hard part...

any of you guys with similar problems? and if so how'd ya get over them?

well, it does help to have a plan in the works, but it isnt really necessary - as long as you have an idea and try to stick with it, you should be good.

the worst part, is when you find out that you cant fully do your idea, limitations with max brushes/entities/etc., or going off track adding some details or something... thats when you need a plan to follow by, but if you just stick with your basic idea, you should be good

also, what the level is made for depends too. like when i would make TFC maps, (or say any MP maps like that), you can make the map symetrical, since it needs to be team-balanced, and as such is easier to keep going... make one side, then clone it, then maybe make something between them

but maps where immersion and environment are more important, (like more in-depth MP like DoD, or a SP level), its much easier to plan it out before hand, becuase it can be really easy to get sidetracked with details and other such things with those maps

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on the nature of your map.

eg. In my courthouse map I didn't really make a drawing as I just created each room as it came about.

On the other hand, for the Villa I actually made a drawing of how the map structure would look so that I knew the rooms would connect with each other.

You do not need to be an architect, you just need to create interesting areas that people will enjoy.

I find that the most time spent on creating a map is coming up with ideas. Once you have the ideas - it is pretty smooth sailing from there as long as you know how to fix problems easily.

There is a whole downloads page at 3D Buzz that deals with Video Training Magazines they've been releasing for a couple of months for Photoshop, some modelling software and PHP:

http://sv2.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/dl_list.php

The reason I'm mentioning it here is because there is also an issue for doing mapping in the Quake3 and Unreal engines. Since Jedi Outcast was built using a modified version of this engine, it might help you out. You do have to wait in line to download the individual videos, but I think it will be well worth it.

Archived