Home

Is CTF fun?

00M-187

I suppose it's fun to someone who is good at it, but I'm not a real team player.

Everyone uses Force Speed in that game and it gets me hella confused. It also takes very long to kill someone in basejk.

But the most annoying thing is when you grab the enemy flag, you can't cap it because the other team has yours.

So you're yelling at your team to kill the flag carrier while being chased by your opponents for your flag...

...Don't let my opinion stop you from creating a fun CTF server :p

PS: Get JK++ mod, since it makes damage and force higher and faster to kill.

Don't host a CTF server off your box. It's not worth it. You won't be able to divert enough bandwidth to each player. For CTF run effectively you need to set bandwidth to 7000-10000 bps per player. So, say your connection is a low end dsl, say 512/128. you get 128K upload which actually works out to about 16 kps, so you could have 2 players at 8000 bps. Unless you're on a connection that is atleast 60K (600kps) up, it's not worth the hassle. If the server fills the pings will go to crap. And I'm sure people here are gonna say, well just set it to 4000, because apparently some people are running servers with this low bandwidth setting, but most of these are duel servers. CTF you need alot of players, and the more players the easier the bandwidth get's stretched, hence the higher upstream you need. I rent a 14 person ctf server from gaminghost.com. It's set to 10000 bps per client. So that's a minimum of 140K (or 1400kps). So unless you have a SUPER fast connection, it's not worth it to host a CTF server. A small 4-6 person duel server you might be able to get away with a 128-256K upload speed.

I suggest you join and play on some of the CTF servers that are already up and running, and get used to the gameplay before you even consider hosting one.

CTF can definitely be fun in the right server. I had some really good CTF moments in the "Always Online CTF" server. But you very rarely see a CTF server anymore with a low ping that allows more than 16 people to join.

On small maps 16 is fine, but I always like around 24-32 to give it that extra action, if your computer can handle the extra processing.

The object of the game is obvious, the name tells it all, "Capture The Flag". ;)

Archived