Home

How many players can you run MP w\o significant lag?

00M-187

it depends on how many people and the gametype. Ideal bandwidth settings are 7000-10000 bps per client. In other words, find out what your upload speed is. Say you're on a low end adsl which benchmarks at 512down/128up. That means you'll get between 12-16kps on upload stream. Not quite enough to effectively run a server for more then 2, 3players with a stretch. If you're 256 up, that's like 28kps. So 4, 5players with a stretch. People will say that you can set the bandwidth to 4000 instead of 7000-10000, but if you do that you're asking for 100+pings all the way around and lag spikes up the gazoo.

You asked for how many people you could effectively run a MP server without lag. I told you and I get a snide remark in return. Real nice. Go ahead. Set up a freaking server on your mid-range box with your low end DSL for 6 players and have everyone join only to get random disconnections and mad lag spikes. I run a dedicated server on an OC48 network. I know what I'm talking about and offer you answers to your questions and you smack a snide remark for my help. Real nice, biting the proverbial hand...

Originally posted by -=Lord Oz=-

You asked for how many people you could effectively run a MP server without lag. I told you and I get a snide remark in return. Real nice. Go ahead. Set up a freaking server on your mid-range box with your low end DSL for 6 players and have everyone join only to get random disconnections and mad lag spikes. I run a dedicated server on an OC48 network. I know what I'm talking about and offer you answers to your questions and you smack a snide remark for my help. Real nice, biting the proverbial hand...

Chill man, how many can you run on your server in MP?

My server is hosted on an OC48 network. I can host as many as I want but pay for 14 clients with 2 private clients for a total of 16. That's with each client getting 10000bps. And NO lag or ping spikes.

Use this to figure out what you can host on your box.

Goto http://www.dslreports.com

Go to TOOLS

Go to SPEED TEST

Run the test. See what it says as your upload speed.

If it says your upload speed is 128K, that works out to about 16kbps actual upload speed. That'd be 4 players at 4000bps or 2 players at 8000bps.

With 4000bps you'll have some problems though.

So for just the avg, everyday, I'll put up a server for us to play on, type of game, use this equation.

Total Upstream Bandwith / Max BPS per Client = Number of Players

It'd help if I knew what your upstream capabilities were and I could tell you what your max players should be. However I also need to know your system specs. So your system can handle the information coming in from the clients.

Archived