Home

EAX sound issue with WinXP and Audigy Gamer

TegSkywalker

This is in regard to Jedi Knight 2 with the latest 1.04 patch, a SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer sound card (latest drivers), and Windows XP SP1 with EAX not working in SP and MP modes.

Before when I used JK2 with Windows 2000, I enabled EAX support and the music and sound had an equal balance. When I recently upgraded (fresh install) of XP and turned on EAX in the sound options, the sound was ok but the music was muffled. Seeing this, I turned EAX off and the sound/music was working as planned.

Is there a way I can resolve this? Thanks

The latest Audigy driver installs an updated OpenAL32.dll (EAX API library) into \windows\system32\. JK2 has an old copy of OpenAL32.dll which doesn't work with the new driver. So remove (or rename) the old dll from JK2\GameData\, and reboot your computer. Hope this helps.

That also fixed the problem for me, man so simple yet who'ld have thought to check that? (I didn't) Most people will sit and scratch their heads in frustriation at this and tech support won't/can't help them. Thanks for the great detective work!

Archived