Home

jerkyness in map

Takeoffyouhoser

i have compiled and tested a small section of my map. I have no overlapping brushes and my map isn't 10X bigger than normal rooms/hallways, yet, my map plays a bit jerky.

I have deleted everything and am starting all over again.

Are there any tricks besides bending hallways, and Area portals in the doors that i should know about?

Area portals are easy. If your door is (for example) 100 units high, 70 units wide, with a thickness of say 20 units, then all you would need to do would be to stick a brush covered in area portal in the middle so it fills the door (so the Area Portal brush would be 100x70) and is more thin than the door itself (say only 5 units thick). That's it!

-Anakin

The only way to get to know the quality of your area portals is to use r_showtris ! -command in the console, in the game. And in addition to bending corridors you can add some nice Hint brushes. BTW, some people say area portals should be only 1 unit thick. I don't know about that, but after reading that I did mine thinnier.

For difficult maps with no clear doors to use area portals with, you have to use Hint brushes. I have done that in two maps. With one they worked nicely, with the other they had incomprehensible (that is, bad) results.

Archived