Home

how do i record multiplayer demo?

Bilbo Skywalker

its saved as dm_## files depending on the version protocol, 16 for 1.04 and 15 for 1.03. but it doesnt really matter as you can only view them in game in the multiplayer menu.

to create an avi video, TK_Nutritious has a in depth tutorial in the valley forum, dunno where that thread is so i'll copy what i wrote in another thread:

basically to record an avi demo, the easiest way is to record an ingame demo first. once you finished this, you should be able to replay this demo in you play demo menu in multiplayer.

ok the cvar used here for the next step is cl_avidemo ##.

What it does is that it takes screenshots automatically without the need to use the screenshot command. the screenshots will be jpgs and will be depositted in your screenshots folder in gamedata directory. The value(##) is the number of shots per second taken by the computer. eg cl_avidemo 20 (i found to be sufficient, as a higher framerate really takes up to much space) will take 20 screenshots per second.

now back to the demo. once you decided which demo you previously recorded should be turned into an avi clip, turn on the cl_avidemo before playing the demo. To stop it when you decided all you need has been screenshot, press any key to exit demo. note that during this process, your demo will go all choppy, dont worry, its fine.

Another note is that dont record to long a time with cl_avidemo, and have plenty of space on your HD as a 40 second demo with framerate set at 25 would give you 1000 jpgs in your screenshots folder.

After you finished recording all the parts of the demo you wanted for the avi, exit jk2. You now will need a program to link all those jpgs together to create an avi. In this process, you can also add sound as there will be no sound or music. Some progrmas for doing this are VideoMach to link the pictures and Virtual Dub to dub the sound.

Thats about it. ENjoy!:)

The demo recording system doesn't record a video, but a segment of gameplay, you can write scripts which adjust camera angle whilst playing the demo. The only way to get it to a video is to take frame-by-frame screenshots, which obviously doesn't allow sound. Lucasarts or Raven didn't program this system, its built into the Quake 3 engine. I doubt Raven even considered people making videos, otherwise they would allow you to adjust the game settings WHILST watching the demo without a concurrent script running.

Having said that, its not exactly hard to add sound effects to the video afterwards, besides video makers generally try to make the game flow in time with the backing soundtrack which is a far more impressive style.

Anyway there are plenty of good demo scripts around, mine allows easy toggle simply through using the F5 key, it automatically changes the demo filename so I can sort through them later for my video.

Archived