Home

verification of using skins online

Flynn XP

I've been searching everywhere to find out exactly how skins work online. I haven't been able to find a conclusive answer so I'm asking here because I figure if anyone would know it would be the skinners.

I understand there are 2 ways to run a server, pure and unpure.

I've read that with an unpure server players can wear any skin they want, however, only the people that have that skin installed will see it.

I've read 2 different answers regarding pure servers though...

One answer states that if you run a pure server any skins you have installed on it will require the client to download the skins they don't have before they can play.

The other answer is completely opposite. It stated that no matter what the client isn't going to see the skin unless they have it already installed. The server will not send it to them.

So how does it really work? Can servers force a client to download a skin before they can join, send a skin to the client only if the client accepts the download, or not send skins at all?

If you join an pure server you will not begin downloading the Skins/Models, but you can only use the skin/models that the server is running. With mods it is diffrent though, if you join a server (pure or unpure) and its running a mod you will start download it unless you´ve turned downloads of in the setup menu in the main game menu, then you wont start download it but cant join the server either. If the server doesnt allow downloads you have to get the file elsewhere. If you join a server with custom saber hilts you will start downloading them too (if you "choosen allow downloads" in the setup menu in the main game menu), if you join a server running "vulcanis admin mod" then you wont start download it since you dont need it to play :)

Archived