Home

Newbie Modeler

Lord Glorfindel

ok, ihave 3 modelling programs, milkshape, lightwave, and Gmax, wot i suggest is to either use milkshape which is free, or Gmax which is also free.

if you have the the money to purchase 3d studio max by all means do so really, i for one dont have the money..so i use Gmax which u can download from Discreet.com, only thing is if you use Gmax, you have get someone to change ur files in order to make the finished model work in Jk2.

all ican say is hope everything starts off well, on my site tehres a link to a tutorial for 3d max, but u can use it for Gmax to,

dont worry though we all start somewhere, yours faithfully, craig x

Sevled's lair

If you are going to make player models and dont feel like waiting for ever for somebody to do the dirty work to get your model in game, than by all means do your best to get your hands on 3ds max.

Unless people are interested in the model you are making, they will rarely get involved in bringing the model into the game, it takes a lot of time, it's tedious, and is really boring to do.

If you want to make weapons or map objects or just want to start out in modelling I would suggest using gmax: 1- its free, 2-it will get you familiar with the discreet interface which will be a big plus if you ever want to go further in modelling and start working with a full program like 3ds max.

Milkshape does have the following going for it though: a glm importer. meaning you can import the existing player characters into milkshape to check how they were done. Very valuable for learning.

like Ksk said, if you can get hold of 3d studio max, then by all means do if you want to get into player modelling...but it cost thats the main probelem, but Gmax is free and as ksk said you have to get other people to do the dirty bit so to speak...

but good luck and hope everything goes well...

Advice :) :

1.Always model in quads(that is two Triangles together)

2. Make the quads flow in a natural way.

3. Keep the mesh clean and tight.

just something someone once said to me wen iwas seeking help, thanks Kinja :p

goodluck yours faithfully craig...

P.S: if you get 3d studio max, theres a great tutorial link on my site :) its really helpfull and iused the same prospects as it to model my latest thing.

this can also be used for Gmax if you learn the layout...

Sevled's Lair <<<my site...

Archived