Home

Can you connect Vertex's in Gmax, like in Milkshape?

JediTempest

ok, the answer to this is yes, but its called collapsing, or atleast thats the tool iuse...

basically, select the two (or more) vertex's you want to join, then simply click the "Collapse" button :) then you have completed the task, well help it helped mate...

yours Faithfully Craig x

P.S: if you want to learn the basics of Gmax, id download the tutorial off their site, which is at http://www.discreet.com then you have to hunt around a bit,

good luck anyway ciao :bounfire::devburn:

Selved's Lair

Since I use 3ds max I can only tell you how to in 3ds, but I'm sure gmax is quite similar. Go to the edit mesh modifier, select face, click the select by vertex chack box, and push the create button. now you can go on the vertexes and click on them one by one to create your face like in milkshape, but clockwise and not counterclockwise will give you a face pointing in your direction :)

I'm an old school user of Milkshape. :) Evreything you can do in Milkshape you can do in Gmax, and in some instances, you can do it faster.

Here's what I use to do what you are questioning:

1) to attach and weld vertexes I use the 3D snap tool and drag a vertex onto another vertex. This is great because they snap into the same place giving them virtually the exact same coordinates. Then I drag a selection around that spot the contains those two vertexes and click the "weld selected" button under the edit geometry rollout. If you can't find the 3D snap tool its near the lower right of the screen. You can keep pressing S on the keyboard to watch it toggle on and off; that will help you locate it. In order to have it work with vertexes though you must right click on the 3D snap button and put a check in the vertex check box. Don't make the mistake of clicking the only button on that dialog box that opens. It's not an ok box. Just put a check in the vertex checkbox and click the close button. Now you'll have a targetting reticule when you mouse over a vertex; click drag and lay it on top of another. When you get in range the one you're dragging should snap onto the vertex you're moving it to.

WOW...if that wasn't redundant....I'll try to avoid that for the rest of this post. LOL.

To create a face you select the Face sub-object mode then click create in the edit geometry rollout. From there you just point and click the 3 vertexes like you would in Milkshape. NOW...I've noticed that if you're working with a editable mesh and you click counter-clockwise, the faces turn out alright, but if you're editing in polygon mode and create a face by clicking counter-clockwise, then it is created backwards/inside-out....which leads to your last question "why are some of my faces invisible?"

Well, they're not really invisible. Faces can only be viewed from one side. If you spin it around, it dissapears. You're actually seeing through it; I think this is called clipping or something like that...or I could just be talking out of my butthole. Anywho, if you just created the face and it's "invisible" just scroll down a bit more in your rollouts and click the "flip" button. :) it will spin that baby inside out so you can now see it.

*edit*

The model is looking good by the way. It's a pretty accurate likeness of Kain. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

Cool model... a few thing's I want to point out to you because I see you doing the exact same thing I did when I first started to build my model... I lost about a week getting my model un and ready in 3ds max.

It seems like you are using the shadowtrooper body, which is a good start but is kind of a pain to weigh correctly at the shoulders and the elbows. It also seems like your model is in milkshape, probably in gmax now... if you started modelling in milkshape you probably are not working on a model that is alligned and scaled to a skeleton... a bad bad thing, but not very bad since it is a raven mesh to begin with. I'd suggest you align the model to a skeleton and scale it properly before heavilty modifying the model (if you haven't done so), it will save you a lot of redundant work.

good luck and, good job. :)

Archived