Home

Anyone know of a good renderer?

Chandler

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good renderer for .glms or more likely some format they could be converted to. I need to take screenshots of skinned and unskinned models and neither ModView nor 3DS's default renderer are quite good enough. URLs would be helpful. Thanks.

You're probably expecting a program that has a button that says "good screenshot". It doesn't happen that way. Go back to 3ds max and if you are taking pics of a skin on a model, turn self illumination to 100% so that the skin can be fully seen. Then when rendering, go to the render properties- using the default max renderer- Change the Anti-Aliasing Filter from Area to something like Catmull-Rom. This filter sharpens the texture a bit and makes it easier to read. If you are taking pics of the model, you want to have a fairly even lighting scheme using 2-4 lights. Go to http://www.bobotheseal.com In one of his tutorials, he displays a lighting sceme using three lights. Use that, and probably add 1 white light above the model. That should give you a fairly basic lighting scheme.

Well, not really expecting, but more hoping. We're rather short-handed, so I have to fill in for a few things I don't know how to do sometimes (which includes using 3DS, and I'm no modeler :o). Thanks for the information; I'm sure I can figure it out for skinned models at least now. The link is broken however.

Archived