Home

Why two well trained Jedi, Qui-gon and Obi, cannot kill Maul, in a second...

Guest Duel of the Fates

Guest Duel of the Fates

Why two well trained Jedi, Qui-gon and Obi, cannot kill Maul, in a second... Two Jedi, One Sith... Come on! What do you think?

Guest Jedi Kanigget

One, Maul was extremely good at what he did, two: Obi-Wan was goofing off, not taking it as seriously as he should have. Notice after Qui-Gon dies, he's less showy, more direct. (I think I said this before. Deja vu? Deja vu?)

------------------

SigFin.jpg

Guest Obi-wan Shinobi

I dont think Maul could have defeated them both. He lead them into the generator complex because they were wearing him down. Once he had them seperated though...

------------------

Strength over Fear...

Peace over Anger...

Honor over Hate...

Guest Darth_Maul

Of course I could defeat them. As I have mentioned before, the Dark Side is more powerful. The Sith had been training for years to eliminate Jedi. Jedi are used to being negotiators and occasionally having to resort to force, but very rarely against another Jedi whereas the Sith trained exactly for that.

And as far as Obi-Wan "goofing off" that's just BS. Look at his face when they are discarding their robes to begin dueling. He's quite serious. After his master was slain, Obi-Wan dug deep inside of himself and unleased his anger and the power of the dark side. THAT is the difference you noticed in him and THAT is the only reason he was able to defeat me.

------------------

darth_maul.jpg

Darth Maul, Sith Apprentice

There is no peace, here is anger.

There is no fear, there is power.

There is no death, there is immortality.

There is no weakness, there is the Dark Side.

-The Dark Jedi Code

Guest Duel of the Fates

Yhea, but when they wer both on him... and well, Maul's training has finished fews days ago. Qui-Gon should have killed Maul all alone... Personally, i think Lucas made a mistake here too; Qui-Gon and Maul, should not have died in TPM!

Guest MasterYoda

Actually, qui and obi were winning because they were advancing forward as maul was retreating. That is untill maul had them one on one. That is when qui gon died. Also the only reason obi wan won the fight was because he was avanging his master.

------------------

yoda.jpg

MasterYoda JPB Moderator

Guest Obi-wan Shinobi

I dont by the "Obi wan goofed off" thing either. He fought hard all the way through. Look how hard he tried to get back in the fight when he got seperated. He could have laid back, but he did not.

------------------

Strength over Fear...

Peace over Anger...

Honor over Hate...

Guest Obi-wan Shinobi

Also the only reason obi wan won the fight was because he was avanging his master.

What does that have to do with him winning the fight? smile.gif

------------------

Strength over Fear...

Peace over Anger...

Honor over Hate...

[This message has been edited by Obi-wan Shinobi (edited April 26, 2000).]

Guest Master Chewie

i agree with duel of fates, i don't think lucas should have killed off qui gon! he was my favorite charater.

Guest porkins

yes, but liam neeson woundn't agree to doing other episodes anyhow. he'll come back in visions to obi-wan in episodes II and III.

------------------

Jedi Uncouncil Co-Chairman, All-Time Champion of the Jedi Belching Contest

Guest Obi-wan Shinobi

One time I drank a case of Southern Comfort and Qui-gon's spirit visited me, he told me to answer "C" on every third question on my Psychology test. It was strange.

------------------

Strength over Fear...

Peace over Anger...

Honor over Hate...

Guest jedihorn1

'Cause Lucas wanted to have a really cool saber duel with a double-bladed lightsaber.

------------------

There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, only knowledge. There is no passion, there is serinity. There is no death, there is the Force. (GOD)-Jedi Code

Guest Ryusui

I think Obi-Wan did goof off a little bit. For instance, he had to showboat when jumping across the gap with Qui-Gon, as they both struck at Darth Maul (this would be the scene he takes his blade across the screen from right to left, blocking both sabers, with a close-up on his face). He did a fancy flip while Qui-Gon merely lept across. Doing a flip like that in close quarters leaves you so open.

And on TheForce.Net, I found something else that proves he was goofing off. When Darth Maul uses the Force throw to open a door with some debris, Obi-Wan is advancing towards him, twirling his saber carelessly.

He was acting a slight bit arrogant, until his master was killed. And I feel he embraced a bit of the Dark Side at that point. He let go to his anger.

------------------

Laterz. Peace kiddies. \/-_-

Guest Jedi Kanigget

THank you, Ryusui, for agreeing with y Obi-Wan "BS" explanation. This is what I'm talking about when Obi-Wan is goofing off:

hidden_obiwalk.jpg

Also when he first started fighting, he was spinning up a storm. He'd spin, block, spin(spin his body in this case) As the fight progresses, he gets less cocky and more serious, then Qui-Gon is killed...then he's totally serious.

------------------

SigFinII.jpg

Guest Hannibal

Thats the recklessness and youth that Yoda tells LUke he shares in common with Obi-Wan. Its no wonder Anakin turns to the dark side he has a teacher who the council wasnt gonna make a jedi knight. If Qui gon was his teacher maybe he wouldnt have turned. Obi-Wan was not ready to teach. Maybe the jedi got what they deserved for puting such a "dangerous" boy with an inexperienced teacher.

Guest liquidkid

supposedly in earlier versions of the screenplay (and maybe in the book... i dunno) after quigon gets impaled and obi is fighting alone, quigon is supposed to be helping him control his anger and such ... like ben does w/luke @ in the deathstar trench. and i definately agree that obiwan was not ready to train anakin. he admits it himself in return of the jedi when he's talking to luke on degobah (there's more of that too that didnt make it into the final cut of the film)

------------------

kyle-gon01.jpg

p.l.u.r. :D J9K-4-LIFE :D MCL

JEDI-4-LIFE

Guest Angel Halcyon

In my opinion,Maul won the duel,but lost the fight.To explain,he defeated Qui Gon.As per the novel,Qui Gon was older than pictured,more like Obi Wan from Ep4,beyond his prime and at his death was brought to the point of exhaustion.Young Obi Wan was inexperienced period.It showed in every attack,down to his weapon twirl.It almost seemed like his first major duel.And he lost.Maul disarmed him and sent him into the pit to an almost certain death.Obi Wan's saving grace was that the Force was with him and he used it to his advantage.In the novel,Qui Gon's spirit helps Obi Wan relax and channel his spirit into the Force.Thus catching Maul by suprise and killing him.But in no way did ObiWan best Maul in a duel.

Guest Hannibal

Obi-Wan was holding his own after Qui-Gon got killed. He only lost cause Maul used that force push move pushing obi-wan into the pit. Other wise Obi-Wan may have one.

Guest liquidkid

obi wan was indeed holding his own, but he let go to his anger and maul was able to exploit that by using a simple force push. you cant take credit away from obiwan though. he is VERY powerful. he was able to escape his certain death and kill maul. help from quigon, or not. it is unfortunate that quigon died and did not complete obiwan's training.

------------------

kyle-gon01.jpg

p.l.u.r. <> J9K-4-LIFE <> MCL

JEDI-4-LIFE

Guest Obi-wan Shinobi

Angel explained what I was trying to say much better than I did. Obi-wan did not "goof off", he was inexperienced, and did not no any better. He tried his hardest, and made rookie mistakes. He did lose the duel, but in the end defeated Maul. .

------------------

Strength over Fear...

Peace over Anger...

Honor over Hate...

Guest BigBud

Agreed.

But let me put it this way. If they didn't nedd Obi-wan in the next movies, and he could die just like Qui-Gon. (Cause he is not in Episonds 4-6)

Maul would have won. He beat them both but Lucas could not let obi-wan die, because, like I said, he is in episods 4-6 and cant die.

That is why Lucas did it that way. To show the crowd/addiance that Maul could deffeat them both, but in the end had to let Obi-wan win.

MTFBWY smile.gif

Guest darthjustin69

that is a very interesting question! I think the sith are much tuned into the darkdside of the force there mind is full of anger as the jedi have to strive every day for that not to happen! smile.gif

------------------

... "You Are No match For Me Young Jedi"

Image1.jpg

Guest Ryusui

Hey, speaking of this fight...does anyone know what it was that kept Obi-Wan from leaping across the pit the first time they entered the generator room? When he tried to advace, he jerked back like he hit a wall or something. But I didn't see Maul do anything Force-like...

------------------

Laterz. Peace kiddies. \/-_-

Guest liquidkid

Originally posted by BigBud:

Agreed.

But let me put it this way. If they didn't nedd Obi-wan in the next movies, and he could die just like Qui-Gon. (Cause he is not in Episonds 4-6)

Maul would have won. He beat them both but Lucas could not let obi-wan die, because, like I said, he is in episods 4-6 and cant die.

That is why Lucas did it that way. To show the crowd/addiance that Maul could deffeat them both, but in the end had to let Obi-wan win.

MTFBWY smile.gif

you make it sound like maul was nice enough to let obiwan kill him for the sake of continuity!

------------------

kyle-gon01.jpg

p.l.u.r. <> J9K-4-LIFE <> MCL

JEDI-4-LIFE

Archived