Home

underwater tunnel problem

Takeoffyouhoser

I have a pipe that bends left, right and left again, which connects my two areas of water. Kyle is able to swim through the pipe between the two areas. the pipe is octogon shape..

my problem is that i do not understand rich's water tunnel tutorial.

Where do i put my Bespin/Water2 texture, on the top part of the pipe, or on the top and the two slanted top pieces as well. Remember, the pipe is an octogon..

What about System/Nodraw ? where exactly does this go ?

everything i seem to try gives me an HOM effect, and there are no leaks at all....

I think that water shaders have to be horizontal. So the best I can think of is to make a rectangular water brush to fill up your tunnel. The four corners will be outside of the tunnel, but you can handle that. :) Even in Rich's tutorials the tunnel is rectangular.

system/nodraw goes onto (vertical) surfaces between water brushes.

well, after looking at bubba's tutorials, i am 2/3rd the way there with getting a water filled tunnel done. My only problem is the middle pipe. It causes an HOM effect and the water does not appear in this middle pipe.

so, i am off to make more of my level, so if somone can please help me with this final problem, i'd appreciate it

Originally posted by Takeoffyouhoser

so the no-draw goes between each water brush i make? so if water brush one and water brush two are to meet, then at the meeting point, both of these brushes, where facing, should ahve the no-draw texture on them right?

Exactly.

Send me the tunnel part of the map, and I'll take a look, if you want. Or is it enough if I make an octagonal tunnel filled with water?

well, you can make the octogonal pipe and test my problem out.

i highly doubt dimensions and size is important, but my pipe goes from the cave's water resevoir, makes a left, goes straight for maybe 300 units, then turns right and into a holding tank. the pipe hangs out some units from the wall into the resevoir and to the holding tank, to give it a realistic look. all the angles are 90 degrees too.....

until then, i'll pak the area my tunnel is in and send you it to load and see where i went wrong...

i jsut hafta read up on the pk3 file.... lol

This is off-topic, but i tested making a "portal" of water, a little like a door, but you can walk trough it... it worked, but it looked funky til i applied the water tex. on the vertical surfaces, so why couldn't you put the water texture on vertical surfaces?

I was playing with it a little. During that I got an answer for my other water related question on SplashDamage forums that can explain one or two things. I'm going to try those instructions on your map too.

Btw. Putting water onto the vertical surfaces can work unless you have two or more sides visible which you have on your pool water for example. I tried that once and the compiler complained that fog has too many visible sides.

The HOM effect probably was generated because of your octagonal water brushes in the tunnels and because in the pool you had a water brush in an other water brush, and because in the cave your water brush doesn't reach the walls. I'm not 100% sure about these. I'm working on it. :)

yeah Les, i didn't know what " wall " to stick the water brush in the cave, :)

anyhow, i re-generated my cave and put in a new pipe, and, put the water brush all the way to the wall as well as the floor.

my question is now this... Do i overlap the water brushes coming from the pipe into the cave, or, just have the cave water brush meet the pipe's brush.

also, do i put nodraw on the cave's waterbrush or just te pipes?

well, i got it to work. I also use no -nodraw textures like good ol rich's tutorial says..which is where my problem was caused...

i'll send you the new level, Leslie, and see if it works alright for you. Also, explain this to me....

To avoid that kind of problem, make a water shader and put it in common.shader.

textures/common/water_caulk

{

qer_trans 0.5

surfaceparm nodraw

surfaceparm nolightmap

surfaceparm nonsolid

surfaceparm trans

surfaceparm water

}

Create an image named water_caulk.tga and put it in textures/common.

Now, when making water brushes, select the whole brush and apply water_caulk on it, then texture the visible face only with the water shader.

That Old Fellow says if you make a cube for example and texture only the top and bottom faces with a water shader (anything with surfaceparm water in its code) it is not sure that the editor (Radiant) will write the faces into the map file in an order where the top or bottom face will be the first line of that brush's description. And he says always the first face decides what the brush content is.

So he mentions that the new shader you posted here should be used on all the other faces to ensure surfaceparm water will be on the first face whichever it is.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to try it, and he didn't answered my question (about if the difference in q3 and JK2 handles the shaders differently in this case) until my last check on the forum.

I'm going to see your solution now. I'll post what happened.

well, I added this shader and it seems to clear up the HOM problems.... although some compiles don't draw the water, while others do. I think that when i run radiant in sleep mode, it either does or doesn't draw the water, but when i shut it down , then run JO, the water draws...

So I'm going to have to send this map to a few people, and see if the water loads on their end consitantly, in game....

so if your interested, and your e-mail can handle a 1.5 mb file, lemme know and i'll send it to you tonight after work around 10pm pacific time

Also, how do i send the new shader along with the map file???

Now this solution made it work but now your tunnel is a straight one. :)

So you say that water drawing depends on wether GtkRadiant is running and in sleep mode? Hmm... Can be. I'll test this with my map.

And yes, you can send it to me. I'm not sure 1,5 MB will fit in because a 1,5 MB file is much bigger in e-mail. So send it to birolaszlo@yahoo.com.

To send a shader just pack the .shader file into the pk3. Just don't give the .shader file a name of the originals. That caused some problems once.

Archived