Home

Is it really necessary to pack resources?

Scarlet Widow

i'm getting really sick of having to archive (pk3) my resources just to test them out. There must be a way to just place for example, the 'Textures' directory into 'Base' and the engine will use that as the highest priority, right? Surely the developers didn't have to bother doing it...

Does anyone know?

The Q3A game engine (which JK2 is based apon) reads the PK3s to work. If the game used subdirectories, I think it'd be a little confusing finding what files go with which skin. So the PK3s are annoying to package but useful for keeping things neat.

I know you can keep a skin / model in the base/model/players/chars/filename/ folder, and it will be accessable in-game at the end of the player icon selection.

As for textures, and prefabs: I'm no mapper, so I dunno. :p

To make PK3'ing easier, I suggest PakScape.

Raven guys mostly had to copy-and-paste the files onto their. Simple as pie. :D

Most engines work like that, Quake is, as far as i know, the only one i've ever known to not. Packing is normally just for distributing, so it doesn't take up as much space and is, as you said, neater.

When it gets to the point where your directories are taking up 100+ megs it gets quite annoying, since hard drives are so bloody slow. It takes at least 5 minutes just to pack everything up because you made a slight change to a single file.

Archived