Home

Character facial animation?

Scarlett

Has anyone attempted to get facial animation working for multiplayer? That is, having (random?) mouth animations playing when the character does a VO and then the blinking/closed eyes at death?

It's something i'd really like to see... but i just have no idea where to begin to code that kind of thing. Facial animations add so much life to a character...... i think we at least need them to blink if nothing else. i don't understand why Raven didn't do it in the first place... then again, they did lots of weird things for the multiplayer version.

It wouldn't have been much work at all for Raven... all they'd have to do is take the code from single player, no?

How does it make the model more complex by having it require facial animation? You mean.. just because you have to model the eyeballs and the inside of the mouth and all? How is that a bad thing anyway? My machine can handle it :D

You mean, you want it to be as animated as single player?

I think RazorAce thought you meant MORE comlex than that.

Yeah, we can do it, but it'd be a lot of code that would be very bug-prone. Most models probably don't even have those bones linked up right.

Yeah, just as animated as single player was would be fine for me. Like i said, even just blinking and closing the eyelids at death would make me happy.

All the offical models have the bones setup correctly for it though (except those with masks on, or droids or something for obvious reasons).. and in my theory, if it isn't then the model isn't even finished. People usually don't put the effort into them right now simpily because you'll only see the effects in single player...

Exactly. When a client sends data / and viceversa, they get the current animation data anyway. I've been thinking about nibbling away at the _humanoid.gla (now that we can) and removing some of those nasty 1200 frame animations that will never find a home in MP (not even as emotes)

It's not any extra trouble on the game play, but the code isn't worth the effect. We've got other things we'd like to do, I guess.

Archived