Home

help reskinning Toon's Mace Windu

MASTER Siggeman

ok I was going to reskin Toon's Mace Windu model (and yes i was going to contact you, Toonces to see if it was OK with you that I would release it) but there's something going on that I can't figure out. I could reskin the Obiwan model, but this one doesn't work.

After I made the new textures (which where just recolored original textures that i used for testing it) I opened up the model with Pacskape and deleted the old jpgs and replaced them with the new ones. And yes i named the jpgs correctly. Then I open the game and select it and it still has the old, default surfaces. I REALLY can't figure this out because those textures are not even in the pk3 file!! Then i though it might be the shader so i deleted it, but it still didn't work.

I know people have reskinned this model so if any of you see this, then please let me know if you have a solution. :):confused::):confused: ....PLEASE!!

First of all, when I contacted Toonces about reskinning Mace, he said that he only wants reskins that use textures that have been made from scratch, and not altered ones from the original Mace. Just so you know.

This may be a silly question, but do you still have the original Mace in your base directory? I'm wondering if your new textures are being replaced by the old ones. IIRC .pk3 files are loaded in reverse alphabetical order. So if you still have Mace in there as well as your new skin, Mace may be loaded after your new skin, replacing your new textures. Just check to make sure this is not the case.

That being said, I have made my own reskinned version of Mace (see my avator at left for a mug shot), and I had no problems doing this, so rest assured that it is not the model itself that is giving you problems.

If you are still encountering difficulties, post here or send me an email and I'll help you out. It can be done :)

Yes, I know that I have to use my own textures, but I only use these recolored ones for testing, (I'll get my own soon.)

And I checked my base folder over and over agian, checking each of my 100 skins and models, and i didn't find it. The only thing I can think of is that I have replaced kyle with mace in SP (so natrually he works for MP too). Do you think this may be the problem? I'll try taking it out of the base folder....

**edit** i just tried taking the SP replacement out of the base, and now I have a floating saber and nothing else. Could this be because I don't have that shader in there?

**edit** no it wasn't the shader, i put it back in there and still got a floating saber.

Hmmm. That sounds funny. So something is messed up with your MP .pk3. In your model_default.skin file, make sure that the directories for your textures are correct. If they are not, this will cause them not to be seen, which is what seems to be happening in this case. Look at that, and if that doesn't find anything, perhaps you could send it to me or I could send you my version...

oh lol,when i opened the model_default.skin, it said:

models/players/kyle

but the folder was still samuel_l, mabey i was trying to reskin a copy of my SP_windu replacement on accident :D. i don't know how i did that, but mabey in my most recent attempt to reskin this, i copied the wrong file! my bad! but before, it showed up but with the wrong textures, so this mistake must be pretty recent.

but i still don't know why this isn't working even if the names are correct. to give you an example of what i'm doing, the last time i did this, i changed the torso and hips to grayscale (this is why they are called *testers*). And then it came out with the same original colors. And yes i checked the jpg once it was done and it looked pretty black/white...(either that or i'm going colorblind lol)

Well, at least that's one problem out of the way :)

What are you doing with the textures should all work fine, so I don't think that's the problem. Maybe you could post what's in your model_default.skin file. Again making sure that it correctly reflects the actual directories. Maybe I'll be able to see something. Or just send me the .pk3 in an email. We'll figure this out!

wow, now it's working....

i think it was just because i took the other mace out of there (the sp conversion). and then it didn't work because in the model_default skin, the name was kyle instead of samuel_l.

i don't know how i made all those mistakes!

well thanx for your help. I guess it wasn't a just silly question. :D

hopefully now i can put together a skinpack (with MY OWN textures) and release it...

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!

Archived