Home

Improvement Idea - New Multiplayer Game Type

jediman999

i don't know if someone else has said this before, but i think its a rather easy way to make a new game type that wouldn't involve much effort and would be a lot of fun

it would be something like the assault game type in the old unreal tournament, perhaps using exisitng multiplayer levels - would be easy to start out with because they could just make this a "cooperative single-player mission" type thing (which would mean minimal level editing (just weapon/player spawns, perhaps, or just adding a few things), or making whole new levels designed for this

since I lost my jedi knight cd and can't buy another one yet, I'll use the map on the demo version of the game as an example

to avoid long trips around the map from just one spawn point, there could be four/five objectives each with their own spawn point for attack and their own spawn point for defence or so that follow sequentially, like a) get the key to open the door to the shield generator room, b) turn the shield generator off, c) turn off the shield wall that leads to the passageway, d) pass through the hallways, e) defeat the reborn and imperial troops guarding the ship

while you would need more map editing for other single player maps, on that map, you could just add some kind of ship above the starting point as spawn point a for the assault, that is close enough you don't hurt yourself when you fall, and maybe more boxes for cover, and make actual passageways to those balconies that stormtroopers are on, and a spawn point for defence somewhere

while this would be changing the game a bit, maybe there could be roles, like jedi, sniper, E-11 trooper, repeater trooper, explosives sargeant (detonators+rocket launcher+bryer),medic (? - depending on what is new in the planned expansion/patch (maybe?)), etc.

or ignore the whole concept of roles and just have weapons spawn at every spawn point that are appropriate to the area (don't give them imperial repeaters in large, outdoor spaces [on an unrelated note, whoever equiped some of the swamp troopers? they never hit you unless you walk right up to them}

please, read, suggest changes

feel free to take apart whole sections of this if you want

Objectives in multiplayer? That exists, but I've only seen one level of it and it didn't come with JO. The gametype is saga. And there is a co-op code that I think exists either with the game or downloadable. I think someone made a mod that allows you to play the ladder in Co-op The roles could be made with set weapons like in Promod and saved force powers, which do exist. I don't know about the set spawn points for each player though. I don't really know much about doing this, but it seems like you could put every weapon and use the principle of promod weaponry(you get to set a level for each weapon and if you have zero, you don't get that weapon). Someone could make it so you chose a preset (like with force powers). This seems very possible, but I don't know how long it could take.

About the swamp troopers, most gun wielding NPCs are inaccurate.

the preset idea would mean that fewer people would play this gametype, though........ maybe just randomely be assigned a role, but you can't get the same role twice in a row - and have each role have different weapons and inventory

for example

trooper - E-11, Bryar Pistol, thermal detonators - force jump, force heal, force absorb at level 2

repeater trooper - Imperial Repeater, Bryar Pistol, thermal detonators - same force powers

rocket launcher - rocket launcher, bryar pistol, no thermal detonators - same force powers + push level 2 (to push enemy rockets?)

flechette trooper - same as trooper but with flechette

bowcaster trooper - same as trooper but with bowcaster

dark jedi/light jedi depending on what side - lightsaber, all force powers of their side at level 2

and dark/light jedi master - same as normal jedi but level 3

but make this a tiered system, like so

1 player on team - 1 jedi, one trooper

2 players on team - 1 jedi, one trooper, one flechette trooper

3 players on team - 2 jedi, one trooper, one flechette trooper, one bowcaster trooper

4 players on team - 2 jedi, one trooper, one flechette trooper, one bowcaster trooper, one repeater trooper

5 players on team - 2 jedi, one trooper, one flechette trooper, one bowcaster trooper, one rocket trooper

6 players on team - 3 jedi, one trooper, one flechette trooper, one bowcaster trooper, one rocket trooper, and 1 jedi master

7 players on team - 3 jedi, two troopers, one flechette trooper, one bowcaster trooper, one rocket trooper, and 1 jedi master

8 players on team - 3 jedi, two troopers, one flechette trooper, one bowcaster trooper, one rocket trooper, and 1 jedi master

9 players on team - 3 jedi, two troopers, one flechette trooper, two bowcaster troopers, one rocket trooper, and 1 jedi master

10 players on team - 3 jedi, two troopers, one flechette trooper, two bowcaster troopers, one rocket trooper, and 2 jedi masters

this way there would always be more roles than people, so you couldn't get the same weapon when you respawn, unless you were a jedi (if there were no jedi and an enemy jedi came at you, it would be very hard to kill them)

or you could ignore the role system and just have a few weapons at each spawn point

and my idea with spawn points is that if there are four objectives, there is an objective for each time for each spawn point

so that everyone on assault starts out at the same spawn point, and when they win, you then respawn at a new spawn point perhaps with different weapons

but if you did this, then it would just be jedi wars............ unless you had the option to turn off lightsabers and/or force, it would be pointless to try to use a gun (except the imperial repeater's secondary fire, which can't be blocked - rockets are too slow, unless you are at short ranges)

and I know that all gun AI is inaccurate, but anything with the imperial repeater is automatically inaccurate beyond belief

if it takes 50/60 rounds to kill a stormtrooper commander at long range, imagine how many times they would have to shoot at you at the same range to kill you

Archived