Home

Indy controls really AWFUL!!!

Guest Ms. Talon

Guest Ms. Talon

I cannot control him!...he keeps turning after I stop moving the mouse, even the simplest movement is an exercise in frustration! At least Tomb Raider's controls were precise!

Guest galahad17

I had the same problem. I switched to using the Sidewinder gamepad. I used to use it for Tomb Raider so I felt right at home. I looked for a way to stop the turning with the mouse but had no luck. I hope they add an option to mouse look to make it easier on the mouse and keyboard users.

Guest Ms. Talon

They ARE bad!!!...Just about the worst control harmonization I've ever experienced, even in a demo! In fact, I won't be buying the game unless I know I won't have problems with this!

I had no problem with the controls. Sure it took me 30 minutes to get the hang of them, but they're fine now. Don't use the mouse at all. All I used was the keyboard.

------------------

"There's no need to fear, your local Grand Admiral is near!"

The controls do take some getting use too, I got the hang of it in about ten minutes, Don`t use the mouse, its to funky. Keyboard is okay, but joystick is 100% better. I thought the original tomb raiders controls sucked worse then this game

Guest Spiral 2

In my opinion Indy's controls are way better than Tomb Raider. In Tomb Raider every time you press the forward button Lara runs a meter forward and jumps a meter back when you press the back button, and Lara walks extremely slow. Indy walks at a nice pace and if you want to run all you have to do is press the shift key.

Guest Hamster Idol

If anyone wants to run, you can set Run as the default and press Shift to walk, just like in TR. This was better for me, since I've been doing it for 3 years

------------------

It's a hamster stuck in an ice cube.

Guest Dark_Indy

Controls are awesome, I use the Sidewinder gamepad too, and have absolutly no problems, and after a few minutes of getting my JK/MotS config out of my head, I really like the controls, I think LEC did a good job with there default gamepad config.

indy.gifDark Indy Indy-gun2.gif

Guest MrMills

The controls are OK. Just OK. Mouse is awful, I switched to keyboard soon after. Better than Tomb Raider, but that's not saying much.

My ideal controls here would be the tried-and-true FPS controls: mouse movement for mouselook, left button for fire/action, right button for draw/holster weapon, space for jump/climb out, w for forward, s for back, a for sidestep left, d for sidestep right, c for crouch/submerge, etc.

Or at least give us an option of going that way instead of the default configuration. Because it can't be done. For one thing, you can't assign Space. (Try it!) Also, while joystick buttons can be modified, mouse buttons can't.

The first error can be fixed by modifying the .kfg file yourself, which is quite simple, but the bug should have been fixed before. The second error can't be fixed by us.

Also, the mouse handling is all wrong. The idea of mouse turning is that the relationship between the distance the mouse moves and the angle Indy turns should be a direct relationship. When the mouse is supplying the input, Indy should also default to turning faster to match the desired heading. Even better would be the camera turning as in an FPS with Indy turning at his own pace.

I can live with the control setup present in the game, but going with the one I described would make the game much more playable (and controllable) to me because it is what I expect. This is not brain surgery, LucasArts.

The problem is that Indy moves like Sean Connery, not Harrison Ford. What I mean is that movements are deliberate and can't be halted mid-stride. They're not snappy enough. They don't fit my idea of Indiana Jones, the lithe, fit archaeologist.

Which is a pity because the controls and the AI are the only things really wrong with the game.

Archived