Home

first indy3d mod

Guest dime2

I am starting a new indy3d mod. for this first mod, i want to do something that is not really big, just to gain some experience. I'm thinking about doing sometype of weapon mod, possibly a lightsaber. Tell me what you think about this idea.

Guest Rieekan

DON'T do a lightsaber. Please.

Do something Indiana Jones-style. Make a mod for the movies. I can just see it now... An interactive Raiders of the Lost Ark.

dime2, I have some experience with the Jedi engine, mostly editing skins and sounds. If you'd like, we could possibly team up.

yes we possibly could. But like i said I don't want to do a big project to start off. I want to do something simple. A raiders of the lost ark tc would be quite complicated, but we could possible do that in the future. I am thinking of maybe an improvement of the whip. I don't like how you can't run and use the whip at the same time. That would probably be a simple thing to change. maybe we can start with that and then think about a movie tc smile.gif

Guest Rieekan

Very well. I formally offer my formidable skinning and artistry and not-so-formidable coding services to you. I'm looking forward to making some cool stuff.

First off, I'm not sure about the structure of the enhanced engine. I poked around a bit in the GOB file, and found the regular COG, MAT, 3D0, SND, and MAT files were basically the same.

However, the level files were totally different. Maybe the someone can modify a Jedi Knight editor to accomodate Indy Infernal levels.

I could get more information if I actually HAD the game... wink.gif

the levels are .ndy files. Those files are contained within .cnd files. How to extract the levels from the .ndy? well codealliance would probably have to make a utility to do that. we'll just have to wait until the full game comes out and see. Still this whip-while-running mod can be done just using notepad and a god extractor. I already have looked at the whip cog, weap_whip.cog and am trying to figure out which line of code tells indy to stop while he does the whip animation.

I would be carefull with that God extractor. The last time I used one of those to extract a god, he condemned my soul to hell for all eternity.

Not to say that you will have the same bad luck as me, but I would be carefull messing around with the gods.

-LOR

Guest Techno Ry

It'd be fun to replace the machete 3do with a lightsaber 3do from JK

(and replace the mat, of course)

------------------

The speed of time is one second per second

[This message has been edited by Techno Ry (edited November 15, 1999).]

Guest Jamison

PLEASE! We are bombarded with enough Star Wars crap these days. Don't get me wrong, I grew up with Star Wars and have always loved it. However:

George Lucus married a beautiful young bride named Star Wars. All the world saw her beauty and respected her virtues. As Star Wars grew older, George decided it was a good idea to pimp her out to all that wished to have some. Now she is a withered whore.

Keep Indy pure.

Jamison

sorry to disappoint you, guys:

(from the license agreement)

"you may not: .. (2) modify or prepare derivative works of the software; .. (5) esign or distribute unauthorized levels; .. (6) reverse engineer, decompile or dissasemble the Software"

meaning: custom levels/MODs are ILLEGAL

and: CodeAlliance is not gonna make any tools (i guess..)

Jamison:

Cute.

Well, just head over to the CodeAlliance webpage. THEY seem to have no intention to mess with LA. I wonder where you will get the tools to make your MODs.

Don't take it personal, dude.

Babel.

Now, this is just my humble opinion, but feel free to give me some feedback.

When you buy a car, for $1000 to as much as $100,000, you BOUGHT that freakin' car, and you can do whatever the heck you want to with it. You can repaint it, you can turn it into a race car, and you can redo the interior. The designers spent a lot of time engineering that car, just like Programmers spend time coding a game. But what gives them the right to tell us we can't Modify thier work? Chevy and Ford don't sell us cars and tell us we can't put mags on them or change the radio??? Making a mod or a custom level is not theft of LucasArts well respected programming. In fact, all of the BEST and longest living games are the ones that thrive on Mod and custom levels. Why is LucasArst killing Indy by stressing their wish for no mods? I don't understand. What I really want to say is, who cares if LucasArts says no mods? You paid for the game. In your house, and among your close friends, you can do whatever the heck you want with it!!! As long as you don't go selling your lightsaber mod for indy around, everything should be legal.. I'm not even sure exactly how *legal* a licencing agreement IS, but i'm sure there are only *so* many things they are allowed to put in them. What if at the very bottom of the LA it said "And you agree let us send out any and all personal information we retrieve from you..." Would you still press the agree button? Do you think this is all Bull? Let me know.. cuz I personally think a big chunk of it IS.

WOW, another Long post from me... I must be in a venting anger mood today.. maybe I should get outside.. :p

Guest absynth

actually, the car metaphore does not quite fit. for games, you'd rather take a "book" or "CD" metaphore and -shazam- you see the point. you also buy a book or a cd, but would you, as a writer or a musician, want people to tear your book or record apart and reassemble it in a totally different way?

don't get me wrong: i LOVE mods and TCs and i have been enjoying them from the old wolfenstein days on, but if LEC don't want them, you'll have to respect that.

BTW: did it come to your attention that LucasFilm is one of the, if not THE most aggressive corporation in the whole entertainment biz when it comes to licensing terms? just look at all that trouble with unofficial star wars pages and whatever.

--ck

Can anyone give ONE good reason WHY LucasArts would want to Deny Indy Fans of making mods? Asides from unlawful profit made from mods and add-on maps, or anything like that.. what wrong is done in sharing a mod or map with the many people on the net? Is LucasArts afraid peopel will call the help line asking for help with mods? Personally, I don't understand why they don't just make clear that they don't support mods.. and let the public go wild.. they have nothing to lose.. Mods will only increase the life of a computer game.. Maybe they're afraid someone will make a naked Indy Patch...

First, you don't purchase the game, you purchase a license to use the game. If you purchased the game then the car analogy would work. But the book analogy sort of works. You can do what you want with the book, the words, illustrations, etc. as long as you don't publish\distribute what you've done without the permission of the author. I agree that Lucas Arts should not support but also not condemn the mods. Look at Doom, Quake, Quake II, etc.

Archived