Home

Dying projects - I hate it!

T-Dogg

During my time in these here forums, I've sadly had to witness too many sweet projects die out gradually or just get forgotten. But the one that bothers me the most is the Darth Vader model by nls. The one available now is great, the crew on that didn't do their work in vain, but the one by nls (IMO) is much better.

The thing that bugs me the most is the fact that the model was already done and then it never came out. The modeler sent it to sithlord-II so he'd put it in game, but there was no reply. Haven't seen nls after that around here either. The thread for the model is still at the showcase/modeling forum, it's the very last one if you want to take a look. Not much use though, since the pics don't work anymore... But believe you me: the thing was perfect.

I agree, that model WAS perfect. I forgot that about it as well. I'm used to seeing projects die; I've been involved in 2 HL mods that went south, and had to cut a model of my own for JK2 also. Each project had different reasons for becoming extinct. I think the majority of it isn't as much about dedication as it is about how many hours a day we actually have to work on a project. Some people start by thinking big, start of strong, and then bail out when they realize the scope was beyond them. I think because of that people get discouraged and don't even bother working at all. I like to keep it as a personal hobby; something I do in my free time that makes happy and helps me unwind. It's also a passion so I tend to give it priority over some real life things that should actually be at the top of the list. :p

It's tough, most of the modelers in the community have full time jobs and other responsibilities (family, social lives, ect...) and have to keep their hobbies secondary. I myself had a very different life six months ago which gave me more time for stuff like this, but now I'm very busy every day, and when I DO get some time off I partake in other activities. I wish I had time to finish up Plo, and Episode II Obi, but right now it's out of the question. Have faith though, they WILL be finished :)

Gaming modifications always operate in a cycle, and right now the community is in a bit of a lull. With the announcement of JA, I fully expect that some old faces will show up around here again, and some long dead projects will move forward.

Archived